MacPro HUUUGE PROBLEM

Reaction score
hi, i bought my MacPro in August 2011. it has a little more than a year. It is a 2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon. i changed my memory to have 12GB 1066MHz DDR3. I have Lion installed on it For the last 6 months approximately i had trouble powering up my mac. when i pressed the power button, it didn't lit up but i was hearing a click. thank 15 seconds later, an other click so i was repressing the power button and it was powering up just fine. But since Saturday night (i'm writing this as of Sunday morning) problems with my machine got REALLY WORSE. Since i'm building myself a new desk for my computer, i unplugged it on friday afternoon and plugged it back saturday night. When i pressed the power button, i powered up on the first time. WEIRD. BUT when i i tried to shut down it, i had a Kernel Panic appearing. So i forced shut down it while holding the power button. When i tried to re-power it, i heard the same click but NEVER the second one that was indicating me to power it like it used to do. so i unplugged the power cord, replugged it then it powered on. but again, on shut down, kernel panic. i did this on and on. So i decided to format my computer, reinstall everything. when lion finished installing, it asked me to restart, so i clicked restart but it never it BUT, the power light was on. So i forced the power off then it booted just fine. Tried a shut down, it went fine. Repower it, i heard a click. I waited, then i heard a second one so i did like always, POWER IT UP. it worked. but kernel panic is back on SHUT DOWN. Seriously, i'm about to take that stupid computer on a bridge and throw it over. I bought this computer 3150 CAN $. it over 1 year so i don't have a warranty anymore. Since, i didn't buy the apple care. So please, could someone help me with that. I'd be forever graceful.
Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

I have this question too (0)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did the problems start just after changing out the memory? If so, I'd say you found your culprit. Change it back and see if the problems persist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Was that memory certified to work in the mac pro line. It has to be fully buffered DDR3 RAM and they usually come with heat sinks around each RAM module

OP
U
Reaction score
i bought it off OWC website, and i was apple certified. and no the problem did not start when i changed he memory but i'll try putting the old one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
U
Reaction score
i just putted the old memory in and it still have problems.i also did the Apple Hardware Test and it told me that nothing's wrong.

i suspect the power supply because those ''clicking'' sound. When i press the power buton, it clicks from ''behind'' the computer. And when i'm not hearing the second one that tells me to power it, i unplug the power cord and as soon as i pull it off, there's an other clickin sound. Could a faulty power supply do the ''powering up'' problem AND the kernel panic? Sometimes when i try ti shut it down, it kinda shut down.the screen goes black, i hear the hard drive sut off BUT the light on the front and a fan is still running. I noticed that i my computer is asleep, i'm not able to turn it back on. Could the power supply do all that?

OP
U
Reaction score
I just arrived from work. Press the power button, heard a "click"...i waited for the second one but it never came so i unplugged the power cord, heard the click sound as soon as i pull it off. When i putted it back, there was no clicking sound no. But i waited 2/3 seconds, press the power button and it started. I still have problem at shutdown EVERYTIME. It's either a kernel panic or it shuts down but the power light is still on and the fan in running or finally, i get the white screen just as a normal shut down but it's not shutting down. Does anyone have a clue about what is my problem? If its needed, i'll try to film it and pu it on youtube

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.