Ios6 and battery drain

Reaction score
Ios6 is draining my battery much faster on my 4s. Anyone know how to go back to previous operating system? Is it possible. This is really frustrating. Need battery to last.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ios6 is draining my battery much faster on my 4s. Anyone know how to go back to previous operating system? Is it possible. This is really frustrating. Need battery to last.

Try a hard reset. Sometimes after an update, something gets hung in the background and eats up the battery. You can verify if this has been a problem by going to:
Settings » General » Usage
Down towards the bottom, under the section "Time since last full charge", if the Usage time and Standby time are equal despite your iPhone having been idle for a bit, then something definitely is running in the background continuously.

To do a hard reset, press the Home button and keep it held; press the power button and keep it and the Home button held; keep them both held until everything goes black and release when the Apple logo appears. This process may take a minute or two.

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. I've had ios 6 on my iphone 4 for about a week. What a mistake. I have chewed through the battery 2 nights. Go to sleep, it's at 95% +, wake up and it's dead. 2 other nights, I wake up and the phone is ON FIRE. Shut it off and it's all fine in the morning. I'm so frustrated. This is the second iOS upgrade that has done this to this phone. If they are going to continue to release shoddy upgrades, then there MUST be a method by which to uninstall or back-rev to a previous iOS.

I've been a Mac user since the 80s and this has really soured my opinion of them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They're not shoddy updates - you have a textbook example of what lifeisabeach described above - a runaway/hung process that is killing your battery. Cold reset the phone (hold power and home buttons until the phone turns off completely) and then turn the phone back on.

Also, check your push notification settings and location settings. If you have a bunch of apps sending you push notifications and/or location services set for a bunch of apps, this will drain the battery significantly faster.

FWIW, battery life has been outstanding for me (much better than with 5.1) on my iPhone 4 since the iOS 6 upgrade, so this is definitely not something germane with the OS version, but something specific to your handset.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been a Mac user since the 80s and this has really soured my opinion of them.

Honestly?? You've been a Mac-User since the 1980's…and you're going to let a very very very small thing like one issue with one iOS upgrade sway your opinion of Apple from positive to negative after 20+ years of Apple loyalty.

Don't you think that you've over-stated things just a little bit??;)

- Nick

Reaction score
oh- I'm very familiar with runaway processes. I've had those on this phone too. They are very easy to identify. And I'm certain this IS a runaway process, but it is absolutely related to something in the iOS upgrade. I have no new apps installed. I can re-boot the thing right before bed so there is nothing open and it just will decide on its own to suck the battery.

I know this is related to the iOS upgrade. As I mentioned, this has happened once before. I did a full version upgrade and the battery drained multiple times a week- just like this. Upgrade to the point release, everything magically works.

Just like this:
iPhone 4s iOS 6 update leading to Huge Battery Drain

or this:
Bugs & Fixes: Troubleshooting iOS 6 | Macworld

or this:
Battery drain problems after iOS 6 - Apple Toolbox

Reaction score
oh- I'm very familiar with "hung" processes. And I'm quite certain this IS a hung process, but I'm also quite certain this is a hung process directly related to this upgrade. There are no new apps. I haven't changed the way I've used the phone. And because of this problem, the phone has been rebooted 4 times in 7 days, so there shouldn't be anything residual running. Before this upgrade, I went weeks, probably more than a month without ever having to reboot. (But I will certainly try the re-set option you suggest to see if that does it.)

The last time this happened, I did a version upgrade. Battery problems occur. Point release fixes it.

Yes- it is my hardware. I'm sure of it, but there are a BUNCH of us out there: https://www.google.com/search?q=iph...sugexp=chrome,mod=17&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And no, I'm not over-stating things. This is not the first time this has happened on this phone. I have been a loyal mac user because as I like to tout, "things just work", but when I have to fight with my phone every time they do a major release, it does make me wonder why I pay a premium for something that is -meh- on par with other products on the market. My husband's 4 year old Android is causing him fewer problems than my phone. That's embarrassing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And no, I'm not over-stating things.

Of course you are!

- Think of all the Apple devices & computers you have owned since the 1980's and had no problems.
- Think of all the software you have purchased…and all the productivity & knowledge you've gained using your Apple products since the 1980's.
- Think of all the successful OS upgrades for computers you've had, and all the successful previous iOS upgrades you've had since the 1980's.
- Think of all the frustration that you've avoided using Apple products…versus what your friends, family, and coworkers have experienced using Windows computers since the 1980's.
- Think of all the FUN you have had with your Apple products since the 1980's.

Think of all the POSITIVE experiences you have had (since the 1980's) using Apple products (20+ years)…and now you're going to say that you're not over-stating things because you have had one "potential" glitch (which may not even be correctly identified as a glitch)!

20+ years of Apple loyalty. Probably 99.9% of that time only positive experiences…and now one little potential problem…and you throw Apple to the dogs!!! I shake my head in disbelief!!!:(:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Of course you are!

- Think of all the Apple devices & computers you have owned since the 1980's and had no problems.
- Nick

Well, you seem to be taking this very personally, and I'm not trying to be belligerent and I like to try and keep things on-topic, but... this statement reminded me of the problems I've had in the last 5-6 years that I had kind of forgotten about. Like the Macbook in which the backlight inverter died 3 times in the first 3 years I owned it- definitely not productive. (We finally had to figure out how to replace it myself because we didn't want to spend the money every 10 months.) And then my friend's later model Macbook which did the exact same thing, we helped her limp it through for another 14 months with it flashing on and off. I have since switched to a Macbook Pro, which has been a lot more solid. I'm not sure what I'm going to do after this machine because I recently heard that the batteries on the retina display macbooks are not replaceable.

Look- It's easy for you to criticize because you don't know me, but I live in the middle of NOWHERE. I don't have landline. I need this phone for emergency and security purposes, as well as productivity. This phone is not just "for fun". I expect it to be reliable. I don't have time to troubleshoot this thing every time Apple decides to release an update that kills it and cross my fingers in the hopes that they fix it soon. I don't think it's too much to ask to have the functionality to back-rev the OS to restore functionality until they get the kinks out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh- I'm very familiar with "hung" processes. And I'm quite certain this IS a hung process, but I'm also quite certain this is a hung process directly related to this upgrade. There are no new apps. I haven't changed the way I've used the phone. And because of this problem, the phone has been rebooted 4 times in 7 days, so there shouldn't be anything residual running. Before this upgrade, I went weeks, probably more than a month without ever having to reboot. (But I will certainly try the re-set option you suggest to see if that does it.)

You haven't even TRIED it yet? I posted that suggestion to the OP 2 days ago. It's right above your rant. Geezus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did. And you're completely missing the point. Not sure why I bother...

If you did a reset, then why'd you say you would try it? And no, I'm not completely missing the point. As a long-time Mac user, you should know full well that things don't "just work". And Android having fewer problems? LOL! Maybe your husband just has low expectations, or likes to tinker. Well if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to using my problem-free iPhone 4S running iOS6.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you seem to be taking this very personally...

I'm actually not taking this personally at all.:)

I just look at what you wrote earlier (post #3 in this thread)…and apply a bit of logic. It makes no sense for a person to be an Apple/Macintosh user since the 1980's (over 20+ years)…then have a ONE problem with an iPhone related to the iOS 6 upgrade…and then come down so hard against Apple after all that time with Apple (20+) years.

If you have been having problem after problem after problem with Apple products I could understand. But then it would make no logical sense to stay with Apple…and you would have switched to something else years & years ago.

On one had it makes no logic sense to bash Apple so much after just one iPhone problem…and it makes no sense to stick with Apple for 20+ years if you've been having lots of problems with Apple over the years.

So either stick with Apple products…and be happy about it (like you have been since the 1980's)!:) Or sell your iPhone, all Macintosh computers, and any other Apple products. Then get an Android cell phone…and a Windows computer…and see if that makes you more happy/satisfied!:)

- Nick

p.s. How happy were you with your iPhone and iOS 5?

C

chas_m

pigoo ... it makes PERFECT sense to sour after 30+ years of excellent service due to one small (and easily fixable) problem ... IF one is superficial and shallow and has a sense of entitlement ...

But I'm really just popping in here to say that I have noticed NO unusual battery drain under iOS 6 on my iPhone, therefore the original poster is just making things up. :)

Just kidding. I'm sorry he's having the problem, but inasmuch as he's admitted this is a problem with one of his apps (most likely) rather than iOS 6 itself (possible, but a reset and restore would solve that if that was the case), why he won't fix the issue is something of a mystery ... some people just like to moan I guess ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.