Using nonApple monitors with the Mac Pro

Reaction score
Ten year Windows user attempting to convert to MAC- frustrated with Windows instability.
Need a monitor with wide gamut capability -NEC PA271w- for Pro Photography. Reading that MAC Pro may have difficulties with profiling the wide gamut monitor (I currently have an
older Apple Cinema linked to a Win system) and really don't like the idea of using the sRGB space of the iMAC or MAC Pro.

If I have read incorrectly or the newer monitors are better, please correct. What can I anticipate if I try to link another manufacturer's monitor withthe MAC Pro? Any experiences? I am not a wizard with hardware- I had one with my Win system but he retired.

Thank you.

R:\http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Undecided.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That monitor will be fine, don't know what you are worrying about

OP
R
Reaction score
Thankyou. I know the monitor will be fine, but reading from older posts (couldn't anything recently) the Mac system would not let a monitor like NEC's be profiled correctly so as to use the full gamut. Didn't want to run into what we needed to do with the Win-Mac hybrid I had before. My Cinema display is >6yrs old and aging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What are you using for calibration?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I don't know where you heard that Macs cannot utilise color calibration properly, they have had colorsync installed since the 1990s

You could use the supplied software or also use a calibration device to create a custom color sync profile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't know where you heard that Macs cannot utilise color calibration properly, they have had colorsync installed since the 1990s

You could use the supplied software or also use a calibration device to create a custom color sync profile

Yep, even with that monitor I tend to use sRGB colorspace anyway. It's what the lab I use uses.. which means the prints match. Also, very few monitors support AdobeRGB colorspace, so it's useless producing web media outside sRGB at any rate.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am using i1Display. True enough re: the web and sRGB, but for printing my own I want to work in Prophoto or at least AdobeRGB. Found somethings on Luminous-Landscape forum, LL had a workshop within the last year that showed a MAC system with NEC monitor.
Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.