Service Battery - only 2 years old

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hi,

I bought a brand new macbook 13" only 24 months ago and have noticed I am getting a
"service battery" alert.

I'm really surprised that after only 2 years the battery is showing signs of needing replacement. Surely this is not normal, especially with a mac?

I have coconut battery and here are the current stats:

Screenshot2012-10-07at43116PM.png

Note: Coconut battery says the mac is 30 months old, however I bought it 24 months ago brand new from Dlck Smiths. I also bought the extended warranty but unfortunately I did not know until now that you needed to activate it or register anything to make it valid. I have a scanned copy of the receipt and the original which I think has just about completely faded.

What should I do... what are my options - will they cover the issue if I show proof of purchase was 2 years ago and included purchase of Apple extended warranty?

I notice that at times the battery remaining time is quite low despite having a high amount of charge. I have tried a SMC reset but that didn't fix it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Normally a service battery error is sufficient to cover the warranty replacement of your battery.

You will need to get your AppleCare status updated before the battery can be replaced, from experience it can take 1 - 2 days before the AppleCare shows against your Mac's serial number once Apple have accepted to register it. Phone Apple and explain you didn't realise the AppleCare needed registering. You'll need your Mac's serial number, your AppleCare box, you'll likely be asked for a number off it's label, and your receipt.

Just remembered, ask Apple what their estimated DOP of your Mac is. Have your Disk Smiths receipt handy, and if DOP is inaccurate, ask for it to be amended. Dic k Smiths could have had your Mac in stock for some time before selling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.