Bootcamp Windows disappeared - Need Immediate Assistance PLZ!!

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 15" 750gb 2.2 GHz i7 intel core with lion as my Mac OSX

I've installed bootcamp on this device with a partition of windows.

A couple of days ago i hard reset (held down the power button) to switch from my windows side, to get to my Mac osX side, but when i held down the option key button, only mac and recovery hd was showing.

So i went into disk utility and my windows drive was gone, the space i gave for the windows partition is also gone like as if the partition is still in effect but it is hidden.

(I don't know if this will help but last week i was trying to change my windows drive to a NTFS [not sure why] i did somethings in the cmd on the windows side, but never changed anything, i also believe that i had a virus on the windows side, but i am kind of sure a virus wouldn't hid my windows driver from bootcamp.)

Please someone help me understand what is going on, i am more of a windows person and have no clue as to how to fix something like this on a mac.

For more info i will post my disk utility info of what is showing./Users/Firiostall/Desktop

Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 7.57.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 7.58.01 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
If you have both bootcamp and mac on your computer, then turn off you computer. After powering on, press the left ALT key and hold it down. It should come up with which operating system you can boot into. If you are lucky, there should be two. Your mac and your windows.. hope for the best that you can still boot into your windows this way.

It has happened to me before. I had to use Disk Utility to delete the messed up partition and extend it again to recover the lost space. Then, I had to do bootcamp all over again!

Thx for posting to me so fast. Unfortunately, at this time i cannot delete any of the partitioning at this time, all i get is this error:

Volume Erase failed with the error:

Couldn’t modify partition map.

OP
B
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you have to use your install disk. I hope this works. First, you have to turn off your computer. Once you turn it on again, hold down the ALT key again until your options come up. Please insert your install disk at this point. You will be using it to run Disk Utility while your system is not running. This should allow you to remove the unused partition. Make sure you do not delete the MAC partition or else you have to restore the whole thing. So you have to be sure of what you are doing other than that you will need to spend 30 minutes if you do it wrong!

Okay just tried to install and got a error message again, pretty much saying i can't install.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry.. I fell asleep. It was midnight over here. Okay, the last thing I can think of is the ERASE option in Disk Utility. Please try to select "disk0s2", and then click on ERASE. Then, choose "Erase Free Space...". PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS IF YOU ARE SURE YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE WINDOWS SITE ANYMORE.

There is also highlighting the "750.16 GB Hitachi HTS547." and then selecting Partition. That is all I can think of right now. Then, I am out of ideas except to restore the whole system. Sorry if it has to come to this!!

Choosing to start completely fresh is always a hard choice. I had to do it many times especially with my Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (french 32-bit edition) on BootCamp..

Thank you for understanding if none of the option helps you out.

Haha, its alright everybody needs to sleep. Ok this is what i am getting when i try to erase disk02 I and when i try to mount it, it just blinks and doesn't do a thing.
I
V

OP
B
Reaction score
Haha, its alright everybody needs to sleep. Ok this is what i am getting when i try to erase disk02 I and when i try to mount it, it just blinks and doesn't do a thing.
I
V

this is so weird, i have no idea what happened.

Screen Shot 2012-10-07 at 11.30.50 AM.png

Reaction score
but how do you recover files?

the same thing happened to me and i'm freaking out. reinstalling windows is not my biggest concern but recovering everything i had on the windows side is. i recently started a work from home business and everything for the business was on the windows side. i need those files... i don't understand how bootcamp could just get rid of windows. please please help, i'm on hold with apple support, but as far as i understand they wont help with anything having to do with windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.