Cannot hard wire connect to internet.

Reaction score
Hi! I just bought an old (but sweet) macbook pro. The machine seems great but when I plugged in my cable modem to see how fast I could surf I was met with a problem: no internet. Here is the status of my internet: "ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." Now I attempted to contact apple for support and never received the call back. I've so far done some troubleshooting on my own finding others with this issue. I deleted a file called "com.apple.alf.plist." which for some people did work but not the case in my issue. I also manually typed in the ip address and dns server which made it so the status claimed to be connected to that ip address but still was unable to browse the internet. I don't believe it to be a problem with the router or cable as the desktop currently wired into it runs the internet fine. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot test to see if wireless works my macbook arrived early and my router is still in the mail. :( But if anyone has any idea of how I can work around this I would be most grateful.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What cable modem? Are you plugging the Macbook Pro directly into the Cable Modem without any other computer connected?

I know here in my city Comcast uses the computers MAC address. Every computer has a MAC address. If the cable was set up on the desktop using that MAC address, another computer will get no internet. Not sure what Cable and modem you are using, but it's a thought. A good router will allow you to clone the MAC of the setup computer for all computers.

BTW, MAC is an address and not an Apple computer! :D Grin

OP
V
Reaction score
What cable modem? Are you plugging the Macbook Pro directly into the Cable Modem without any other computer connected?

I know here in my city Comcast uses the computers MAC address. Every computer has a MAC address. If the cable was set up on the desktop using that MAC address, another computer will get no internet. Not sure what Cable and modem you are using, but it's a thought. A good router will allow you to clone the MAC of the setup computer for all computers.

BTW, MAC is an address and not an Apple computer! :D Grin
Hi thanks for the response! The modem is a cisco DPQ3212.

I appreciate your response this sounds really plausible and I will look into it. is it pretty easy to clone?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also who is your ISP?

OP
V
Reaction score
Good morning! I am trying to clone my mac address to no avail there is very little information on cloning and the information I'm finding doesn't seem to work for the particular modem I am using. :( Hopefully when I get a router this won't be an issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That option is in all Good routers. What router did you purchase? I did some searching and read about a few people with Cox with your issue and that solved it for many.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.