Replace mini displayport with Thunderbolt in iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8GHz i7 late09 OS X 8.2; MacbookAir 13" 2GHz i7 OS X 8.2; TV2; new iPad; iPhone 5.
Is it possible to do this in the iMac as i'm guessing there might some room for the Thunderbolt chip?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it possible to do this in the iMac as i'm guessing there might some room for the Thunderbolt chip?

Not possible. This sort of stuff is not upgradeable or replaceable.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8GHz i7 late09 OS X 8.2; MacbookAir 13" 2GHz i7 OS X 8.2; TV2; new iPad; iPhone 5.
Not possible. This sort of stuff is not upgradeable or replaceable.

- Nick

Ahh shame, I didn't realise. Thanks very much for replying.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ahh shame, I didn't realise. Thanks very much for replying.

Yeah…there's really not much that's replaceable/upgradeable on iMac's (very similar to Apple laptops). Pretty much just the ram and hard drive…and even on newer iMac's…Apple has made replacing the hard drive more complex.

Do you have a special need for a Thunderbolt port?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a special need for a Thunderbolt port?

- Nick

My iMac is running pretty slow so I'm trying to see what options I have to speed it up. I've been looking into including a SSD but I don't really want to compromise on storage, so I thought this may be an option as I purchased a MacBook Air a few months back and got a LaCie 2TB thunderbolt drive with it.

Also for some crazy reason it doesn't have any other ports and doesn't support mini display-port, or the apple converter cables I purchased so I cannot use it with my iMac like I thought I would be able to. So I thought maybe installing a drive on the iMac would be possible and then I'd be able to offload most of my files too it.

I've been using macs for a while but I've never modified one and I've found it difficult to find a solution to my problem that isn't either too difficult or doesn't cost the earth!

Reaction score
what are you running as far as memory? you might be able to upgrade that and its really easy to do.. look it up on youtube
go to apple and hit support
then tech
then enter your serial # and it will give you the max memory you are able to upgrade to and its some what cheap just not at apple

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running 8GB but I've just ordered 16GB so I'm hoping il see a good increase in performance, but since getting a new MacBook Air and seeing how much faster than my iMac it is, I can only put it down to the SSD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.