Apple TV3 doesn't show YouTube and otehr icons

Reaction score
I have an Apple TV3 (purchased in Australia). When I turn it on I only get the "Computers" and "Settings' icons. I do not get the YouTube, Photo and other icons that I could access on my old Apple TV2. The attached image shows the icons that should show up.

I thought the problem may be related to me updating to IOS6 until I realised that it did the same thing while running the previous IOS

I have reset the Apple TV3 but the problem still persists.

I wondered if this problem has anything to do with the fact that I am accessing the unit in Indonesia but my old Apple TV2 is working fine in Indonesia.

Anyone had the same problem? As it stands at the moment, I am locked into only being able to access movies and music etc from iTunes which is running on my MacBook Air.

Apple TV screen.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I had a problem with youtube early days after set up with my ATV2 . It just disappeared for a few days and I couldn't access it.

Have you considered that the authorities may be blocking access to it because of that negative islamic film ? It's happened in other islamic countries.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you for your response pendlewitch.

The Apple TV3 has been only allowing me to access "Computers" and "Settings" ever since I first set it up in Indo (after purchasing it at Melb Tullamarine Duty Free).

I don't think the authorities are blocking anything due to that stupid anti-islamic movie.

I have an APpplt TV2 setup on a tv downstairs and it is showing all the appropriate choices - eg Flicker, YouTube, Photos etc.

It is a mystery!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's what happens when it starts up and doesn't have a valid internet connection. What you see also varies depending on the country.

So the first things to check are the network and country settings

OP
O
Reaction score
That's what happens when it starts up and doesn't have a valid internet connection. What you see also varies depending on the country.

So the first things to check are the network and country settings

mrplow

What do mean by a "valid internet connection"? Where would I check the country settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Valid as in working.

In the Settings menu select General - Network there should be a valid IP address. At least the first two parts of the IP address eg 111.222.333.444 should be the same as your Macbooks IP

To find your MacBooks IP:
System Preferences - Network
Select Airport or Ethernet (depending on how you're connected) from the sidebar.
If you're connected to the Internet, the Network window will tell you so in the upper-right corner. Your IP address should be shown under your connection status

In settings there are country settings to make sure you time zone is correct and to make sure the Apple Store is set to the correct locale.

OP
O
Reaction score
Valid as in working.

In the Settings menu select General - Network there should be a valid IP address. At least the first two parts of the IP address eg 111.222.333.444 should be the same as your Macbooks IP

To find your MacBooks IP:
System Preferences - Network
Select Airport or Ethernet (depending on how you're connected) from the sidebar.
If you're connected to the Internet, the Network window will tell you so in the upper-right corner. Your IP address should be shown under your connection status

In settings there are country settings to make sure you time zone is correct and to make sure the Apple Store is set to the correct locale.

I checked teh IP addresses as the IP address on Apple TV3 has the same 9 numbers. The last number of the IP address on MacBook Air is 9, while on the Apple TV is 6.

i have moved the old Apple TV2 and attached it to the TV that usually is connected to Apple TV3 and the 2 works as it should.

I have attached a photo of what shows up on Apple TV2 & 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't see the photo I'm afraid and not sure if you've looked at the country settings.

However, I'd suggest going into settings and resetting the Apple TV, power down and restart entering the settings as it were fresh out of the box.

OP
O
Reaction score
Can't see the photo I'm afraid and not sure if you've looked at the country settings.

However, I'd suggest going into settings and resetting the Apple TV, power down and restart entering the settings as it were fresh out of the box.

The images won't upload ... don't know why.

Yes, i checked the country settings.All seems ok there.

I have already reset the Apple TV3 and the problem persists.

I have already owned and used two Apple TV2s which I had no problems with in Indonesia or Australia. No such luck with the 3!

Thank you for trying to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
The images won't upload ... don't know why.

Yes, i checked the country settings.All seems ok there.

I have already reset the Apple TV3 and the problem persists.

I have already owned and used two Apple TV2s which I had no problems with in Indonesia or Australia. No such luck with the 3!

Thank you for trying to help.

There is one further thing you can do if you think that it's the box that is the problem. Restore it via iTunes to Factory settings. You'll need a micro-usb cable and the box needs to be completely disconnected from everything before you plug it into your Mac.

Follow these instructions here Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.