wireless mouse slow to connect

jnb

Reaction score
Even with new batteries my wireless mouse takes an eternity to connect to my new iMac. If the computer is up and running and I turn on the mouse it will never connect. If I turn on the mouse and then wake up the computer by pressing a key or turning on the keyboard, the mouse won't connect for a minimum of 30 to 60 seconds or may never connect at all. The mouse is a foot in front of the computer. What's up? By the way, how long does it normally take?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
Are you actually turning off the mouse by the on/off switch? It's best to leave it turned on and 'Discoverable'.

Further, if you are still having problems try deleting the device from within Bluetooth Preferences and adding it back in. There are also some Advanced preferences you may wish to check.

OP
J

jnb

Reaction score
Yes, I have been turning it off. Won't leaving the mouse on use up the battery quickly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have been turning it off. Won't leaving the mouse on use up the battery quickly?

Well I don't have the figures for it's quiescent (resting) state but it's likely negligible. This is Apple's comment "Even when it’s on, Magic Mouse manages power efficiently, by detecting periods of inactivity automatically".

What you are seeing happen by constantly turning it off and on is a repeated disconnect/ discovery cycle which does't happen instantly.

You've got a new iMac which is a huge investment so I would cut yourself some slack and just leave the mouse turned on otherwise you are spoiling the experience. As we say in Blighty "Don't spoil the ship for a half-penneth of tar" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Follow pendlewitch good advice. Never turn my iMac or kb, mouse or trackpad off. They all sleep and save power.

OP
J

jnb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I left it on when I went out this morning and it came up just fine this evening. I really was making more work for myself. Have a good week!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news jnb !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.