Start up issues

Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping you guys can provide a little insight.

So I'm in class and I need to start up my MBP. To reduce the sound of the computer starting up, I turn it on and then close the lid. Not all the way but just about. It makes the start up sound and I go to open the lid and the screen is completely black. Nothing happens. The keyboard lights up but the screen just sits there black. So i restart the computer several times and it keeps doing it. Finally, I just turn it on with the lid open and everything is fine.

That was about a week ago. Today I do the same thing, with closing the lid right after turning in on. However, this time once I restart it and start it up with the lid open. A little loading bar appears under the rotating loading wheel under the apple logo. The bar gets about 1/10th of the way towards finishing and it just freezes and stops progressing. I then restart the computer and the loading bar appears again. This time it finishes completely, but shuts it self down and restarts. The third time, it loaded all the way and everything from there was normal. I restarted the computer and the loading bar no longer appears.

My questions are, Why did this happen? and why does the computer not start up if I turn it on and close the lid? i've done this several times weeks prior with no problem. But now all I get is a black screen if I close the lid right after hitting the power button.

I apologize for the terrible grammar. I'm about half asleep and I'm hoping to have some replies by the morning!

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Closing the lid starts the Sleep mode on a MacBook but hitting any key will awake it with that said you are probably putting it to sleep before it can load properly not sure if this will damage it or not in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.