Am I a geek?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Imac i7, Fusion Drive, 8GB Ram.
My first computer was a XT running at 4.77 MHz. WOW with TWO floppy drives.
I have built 20 or 25 computers and done tons of upgrading myself.
Last year I bought my wife a Imac and she loves it.

The thing is I am thinking about getting one for me.
But you have a tough time opening up that box.
I don't know if i can stand having a computer I can't open up.

So am I geek?

Mark F.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'll just say yes solely on the basis you felt the need to post this thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The beauty you should not have to other than bump the ram or order it maxed out.

C

chas_m

You know, when I was a kid I loved taking my toys apart and seeing how they worked. For some of us, that turns into a lifelong obsession (cars, electronics, computers, etc).

But at some point you stop doing that. Not entirely, but for example there's really no need to open up the toaster. Or the monitor, the toilet, the sofa, the TV. We just want them to work reliably, and for the most part they do.

I think you'll find you have less desire to open up the Mac for these same reasons. Knowing what to do with a PC that's malfunctioning is a good skill to have, but iMacs? They just tend to ... you know ... work. For years.

That too is an attractive feature. Even to geeks. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Imac i7, Fusion Drive, 8GB Ram.
I'm sure by christmas I will be using an Imac, but I'm going to keep my pc around so I can open it up when needed for a fix.

Mark F.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I enjoy tinkering as well. This is one of the reasons I keep a gaming box down in the basement to play with. Personally, I wouldn't buy an iMac, but then, most of my non-work-related computing is done on a laptop. For those rare times when I need a desktop, the gaming box works fine.

I use a MacBook Pro 95% of the time because it's so flexible, and in all honesty, OS X is the best notebook OS on the planet IMO. It's fast, fluid and has by far the best and most seamless power management. And the best part is, I don't need to fight with it... which after dealing with broken stuff all day long in my professional life (IT), is the last thing I want to do at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.