Macbook pro and Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Retina Pro OS X Mountain Lion Imac 3.06 GHz Core
I am new to this forum.

I have a PC and an Imac with a Netgear Router. the PC is hardwired to the router. I have an E-Book backup drive for the PC and a Lacie 1 TB drive for the Imac using Time Machine. I just bought a Macbook Pro. I want to employ a backup system for it, but i don't know what I need to do it wirelessly. The Lacie drive should be plenty big for the Imac and the Macbook. I would like to do it as cost effectively as possible.

I am running OS X Mountain Lion on both Apple machines and Windows 7 on the PC. The Netgear router is the new R6300

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
2 things you should know.

1: You will need to partition that 1TB Lacie if you wish you use it with the iMac and MBP. If memory serves, you cannot have TM backups from different Macs on the same drive/partition. And even if you can, I still wouldn't suggest it. Ideally, you'd have a different external HDD for each Mac but I realize that may not be realistic with a limited # of ports in your router.

2: If you truly need to backup the MBP wirelessly, at the very least do the initial TM backup with it plugged into the Lacie. It's a large backup and takes quite a while, as you may recall from the first time you backed up the iMac. Wireless backups (even hourly) can take a long time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Retina Pro OS X Mountain Lion Imac 3.06 GHz Core
So after I do the initial backup wired to the Lacie I will be connecting the Lacie to the router. The Imac would stay wired to the Lacie.

What if I bought a Time Capsule for the Macbook Pro ? Would I plug it into the Netgear router ? It's getting a little confusing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.