Imac wi-fi connection issues

Reaction score
I have been having this wifi issue for a while and i am sick and tired of it and just need to fix it. I am not a genius in computers so i am going to say this in extremely simple terms. When i turn on my imac and login in i always get the wifi icon searching for a network and not actually connecting to my network. If i go into system preferences it says something about 802.1x and that it is not able to connect however it keeps on trying and will basically end up never connecting. I have done some reaserch on 802.1x and have seen that is mostly used for campus wifi and school wifi which is not the case here since this is a home wifi network with wep security. I have tried all kinds of fixes but none have worked. i tried making a new connection for wireless, resetting pram, and a ton of other things but NOTHING HAS WORKED. it is so frustrating. The only fix there is for this is every single time i have to go to system pref then network then diagnostics and run a diagnostic test and then suddenly the thing about the 802.1x disappears which leads me to believe the wireless issue im having is somehow related to 802.1x. If anyone can pelase help me this is so frustrating!!!! I have attached 5 pictures of the process. if anyone needs more info to solve this please ask and i will supply it.
Thanks

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 4.22.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 4.23.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 4.20.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 4.11.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 4.23.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 4.23.09 PM.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Computer details and operating system help no end. However how old is the modem/router? If reasonably new go to the URL, select to run as 802.11N and set up as WPA2 Personal. WEP is simply not secure.

OP
A
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Computer details and operating system help no end. However how old is the modem/router? If reasonably new go to the URL, select to run as 802.11N and set up as WPA2 Personal. WEP is simply not secure.

ok i just changed it to wpa2 but for 802. 11n i think it cant do that cause it says Wireless Mode: Mixed: accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok so i just did the wpa2 and it somewhat worked when i restarted it didn't give me the 802.1x error but now it just will search for a network and just not connect to anything even though i pressed rember network! I think this was the original problem and i did something by accident to try to fix it and got the 802.1x.
P.S.- I also have alot of other devices that all work flawlessly with the same network so i dont think its an issue with the modem.
EDIT- ok so i restarted and the top bar finished searched for network and was just not fileld in and i clicked it and saw the pic bellow (should be second pic) and after a few seconds i searched again and found my network and this time didn't ask me for password. very weird.

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 5.46.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 5.52.54 PM.png

OP
A
Reaction score
solved. went to prefrencen to network to asvanced and since it said the network was wep still i deleted it added it again and it went to wpa2. and now when i turn it on it works. thank you so much to evreyone who hellped

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.