Broken Display & Hard Drive Backup

Reaction score
For my MacBook Pro:

• The hard drive sounds like it powers on, but the display does not show.
• I have connected an external display – nothing appears on the external display.
• The Apple Store recommends having it shipped in for repair, though I need to back up the hard drive.

(1) Is there a way to back up the hard drive while the display to not work?
(2) For the display repair, should I ship through the Apple Store or use an Apple-Authorized repair shop?

Thank you for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When you have no display but can hear the hard drive and likely the fan/s too running, there are 2 fault possibilities.

If the display has failed you could use target firewire mode to pull of your data onto another Mac, or attach an external display to see to backup to an external hard drive.

The other fault possibility is that the logic board has died. If there's no chime, even after resetting the PRAM, this is likely. The hard drive and fan/s will still run. The only option then is to carefully remove the hard drive, add it to a USB SATA case or caddy, and backup to another Mac. The problem arises if you don't have access to another Mac or an external display.

An Apple Store or AASP will take care of your data, but the worry is it getting lost or damaged in transit.

If you're shipping the MBP, I'd send to Apple, but if there's an AASP closer within easy driving distance I'd use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.