App to modify the Mail program

Reaction score
I would like to see someone develop an app to modify the Mail app 5.3 to correct 3 items that I find annoying in Mail. (Compared to Outlook for Mac 2011)

1. Auto Capitalize the first letter of the first sentence in emails and also the first letter after the period. (.)

2. Change the way the Inbox deletes emails. Now, when you delete an email it moves UP to the next email. I like to read my email from the top, down. Like I read the page of a book. In Outlook, when you delete an email it goes DOWN to the next email. More logical.

3. Change the script to remove (eliminate) the "On Oct 5, 2012 so and so wrote" in email Replies. I feel this is unnecessary because the Inbox is date stamped and the recipient's Inbox is doing the same. It doesn't need to be in the body of the reply email.

I think someone could sell an app that would make these changes. Especially #1 and 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would like to see someone develop an app to modify the Mail app 5.3 to correct 3 items that I find annoying in Mail. (Compared to Outlook for Mac 2011)

I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. However, there are solutions.

1. Auto Capitalize the first letter of the first sentence in emails and also the first letter after the period. (.)

You can use a 3rd party service to fix the text for you after-the-fact.

How to Get Mac Mail to Capitalize the First Word in a New Sentence | eHow.com

2. Change the way the Inbox deletes emails. Now, when you delete an email it moves UP to the next email. I like to read my email from the top, down. Like I read the page of a book. In Outlook, when you delete an email it goes DOWN to the next email. More logical.

Fixed with a "simple" mod to the preference file.
MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - Deleting mail - after deletion cursor advances to next newer item

3. Change the script to remove (eliminate) the "On Oct 5, 2012 so and so wrote" in email Replies. I feel this is unnecessary because the Inbox is date stamped and the recipient's Inbox is doing the same. It doesn't need to be in the body of the reply email.

Fixable. See the update at the end of this page linked below.
How to Change the Quote Attribution Line in the Mac’s Mail.app Mail Program - The Internet Patrol

You could also look at this plug-in to see if it has any value:
https://code.google.com/p/quotefixformac/

Ah here's a huge list of plug-ins:
Apple Mail Plugins and Tools

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks so much! All 3 of those tips worked!

1. The Devon Technologies WordService app capitalizes the first word and every word after a period. (.) You have to select the text and then go to Services in Mail but for a long paragraph it's easy and helpful.

2. Entering this in Terminal makes email deleting go down instead of up.
defaults write com.apple.mail IgnoreSortOrderWhenSelectingAfterDelete 1

3. All I had to do was download the Quote Fix app, install, and the "On Oct 6, at 4:15 PM so and so wrote" was gone from email replies!

Thanks again. I'm now happy using Mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.