Unusual default font question

Reaction score
I understand the basic idea of setting a default font. However, when I choose 'Format', then 'Font' and set my font as Geneva CY, then press 'default', it only gives me the option of saving Geneva CY as my (Asian) and (default) fonts, but it refuses to change the (Intl) from 'times' to 'Geneva CY'. Is there a way to get them all to be Geneva CY?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You cannot use Geneva CY as a default font in an English or European language document. Geneva CY is a font for Cyrillic and asian languages

OP
E
Reaction score
You cannot use Geneva CY as a default font in an English or European language document. Geneva CY is a font for Cyrillic and asian languages

so what determines what language the document is in? I'm using Geneva CY because I'm typing in Russian and it's the only font I've been able to find that allows me to type in Russian and in Engilsh. The problem with that is that every time I switch from Russian (Geneva CY) back to English it automatically reverts to Times and I have to first type my text, then highlight it and manually change the font back to Geneva CY. Last night, for the first time, some of the Russian text just 'disappeared'. That is, it disintegrated into a jumbled mess of signs and symbols which I haven't been able to turn back into readable text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.