Autorotation & Positioning Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad 16 GB Wi-Fi
On my app i found this problem, when in landscape mode and i select an item which leads to another view, my description doesn't show up.

but when im in portrait view and i select the item, and than i rotate it, THEN for some reason my description shows:

heres the a photo of the view when i use the app in landscape mode only

m3rk8.png

heres the photo of the view, when i use the app in portrait mode and than rotate it to landscape when im at this view. so you guys have some type of idea what im talking about

2lcvdz9.png

heres my coding:

Code:
- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation
{      
    //return (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait);

if ([[UIDevice currentDevice]userInterfaceIdiom]==UIUserInterfaceIdiomPhone)
    {
        return (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait);
    }
    else
    {
        if (UIInterfaceOrientationIsPortrait(interfaceOrientation))
        {
            // Portrait frames
            view_style_descript.frame = CGRectMake(0, 664, 768, 90);
            view_Washing_Intrn.frame=CGRectMake(0, 753, 768, 158);
            //[self RemoveSubView];
            //view_color.frame = CGRectMake(710, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
        }
        else
        {
            // Landscape frames
            view_style_descript.frame = CGRectMake(465, 200, 560, 90);
            view_Washing_Intrn.frame=CGRectMake(465, 290, 560, 250);
           // [self RemoveSubView];
            //view_color.frame = CGRectMake(965, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
        }

return YES;
    }
}

- (void)willAnimateRotationToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)toInterfaceOrientation duration:(NSTimeInterval)duration
{

if ([[UIDevice currentDevice]userInterfaceIdiom]==UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad)
    {
        if (UIInterfaceOrientationIsPortrait(toInterfaceOrientation))
        {
            // Portrait frames

if(ShowColor==FALSE)
            {
                view_color.frame = CGRectMake(710, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
            }
            else
            {
                view_color.frame = CGRectMake(665, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
            }
        }
        else
        {
            // Landscape frames
            if(ShowColor==FALSE)
            {
               view_color.frame = CGRectMake(965, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
            }
            else
            {
                view_color.frame = CGRectMake(925, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
            }
        }

}

}

these do not work, i tried using the If statement on viewDidLoad, but it doesn't know if its in portrait mode or landscape.

Code:
- (void)viewDidLoad
{  
    [super viewDidLoad];

if (UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait)
    {
        // Portrait frames
        //[self RemoveSubView];
        //view_color.frame = CGRectMake(710, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
    }
    else
    {
        // Landscape frames
        // [self RemoveSubView];
        //view_color.frame = CGRectMake(965, 80, view_color.frame.size.width, view_color.frame.size.height);
    }

}

so basically if i put a "!" infront of UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait it executes the else statement, if not than the if.

anyone have any suggestions or advice???

Reaction score
Firstly you should not use the shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation: Method to reposition views or subviews, only use the shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation: Method to return the desired or supported device orientations only, like this.

Code:
- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation
{
    // Return YES for supported orientations
    return (UIInterfaceOrientationIsPortrait(interfaceOrientation) || UIInterfaceOrientationIsLandscape(interfaceOrientation));
}

The above example allows for all device orientations, including portrait upside down.

Secondly you should use the viewControllers viewDidLoad: viewWillAppear: or viewDidAppear Methods to check the devices orientation, and do any repositioning code.

Hope this helps.

Regards mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.