Adapter for Mac monitor cable?

Reaction score
A friend has an Apple monitor he bought around 7 years ago to use with his desktop Mac. He also has a MB but with a failed screen, and he'd like to plug the monitor into that. However, the monitor has a hard-wired cable with a multi-pin plug on it that seems to be an Apple special. Does anyone know of any way of adapting this cable to fit his MB? I can attach photos if necessary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your friend needs an "ADC" connector cable adapter. (ADC = Apple Display Connector) The ADC is a proprietary cable by Apple and is very expensive. Here is what it looks like: LINK

I'm not sure where he can find an adapter to fit to the ADC cable. Perhaps on eBay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is going to be a tough one. Going from that old monitors ADC connector to the video port on a MacBook is not easy!

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, the above will not work. The ADC-DF/HM is that guys part number - that is strictly a DVI-D to HDMI cable - it will not connect to the ADC cable from the Apple monitor.

You can buy brand new 17-19-21" monitors all day long for $25-$100 less than you'll find the cable you need for that Apple monitor - if/when you can find that cable for sale.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you all. It's cheaper for him to buy another monitor and scrap this one, and that's what he's decided to do. But after this experience he will only buy one that is capable of being used with different computers, Mac and Windows. He wants something that is industry standard that won't later be dropped - this monitor cost him a lot of money and he isn't happy that it's now unusable because the manufacturer has changed standards.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have modern hardware, MBP and Windows laptops. Will a new monitor I buy necessarily fit both MBP and Windows? If not, what do i have to look out for?

My MBP dates from mid-2011 and has the Thunderbolt port.

Reaction score
No, the above will not work. The ADC-DF/HM is that guys part number - that is strictly a DVI-D to HDMI cable - it will not connect to the ADC cable from the Apple monitor.

You can buy brand new 17-19-21" monitors all day long for $25-$100 less than you'll find the cable you need for that Apple monitor - if/when you can find that cable for sale.

Crap, that sucks....I have an old cinema display monitor with an old G5 Quad Core I bartered for years ago and kept to open the occassional Mac formatted files/drives..... I was hoping I could go ADC to HDMI to Thunderbolt connector.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new monitor sometime soon I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.