Having a Hard Time with the iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hey-
this will take some getting used to.

I have a bunch of basic questions, but one I was wondering so I do not use all of my data, is do I have to make sure Safari or other Apps are closed or disconnected so that they are not running in the background and using data? is there a way on the iPhone 5 to make sure Safari is closed after I use it and not using data? If I go back to the Home page does that mean Safari got disconnected after I used it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The easiest way to close Safari is to Double click on your Home Button and that will bring up a Row of Apps that are Running. Hold your finger on one of them as you would to delete one, once done this will bring up a - sign in a Red Circle. Press that and now Safari is closed down..... You can do this to all your Apps to save Battery as well

HTH

Cheers

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Tatt-
so all the icons that came up with the - in the red circle are apps that are running. Safari was one of them. It uses data when Safari is running does it not? Are there some that should come up when I double click the home button? Like Maps came up too. Does Maps use Data or just when I am using it? anyones you suggest I leave when I double click the home button? a lot came up for me because I forgot to scroll to the right.

There are already icon impressions in the LCD (if the screen is LCD) left by the usual home icons. that surprises me since this is brand new or it is supposed to be brand new

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The iPhone doesn't typically keep tasks running in the background, unless they're absolutely necessary. So, when you're not actively using Safari, it is essentially "paused" and not consuming data.

Regardless, most data plans run around 2GB/mo. That's actually a good bit of data if you're not constantly downloading videos, music and other multimedia rich content on a very regular basis on 3G/4G. If you reserve those activities for times that you're on WiFi, chances are you'll be fine.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I scroll to the left there is a set-up like it is a sound system, there is an arrow like you hit to Play and one that goes all the way to the end (right) and to the end (left) and thee is a semi circle that when I touch it it says "portrait orientation locked" and when I touch it again it says Portrait orientation unlocked, what is this? there is a volume adjuster.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I scroll to the left there is a set-up like it is a sound system, there is an arrow like you hit to Play and one that goes all the way to the end (right) and to the end (left) and thee is a semi circle that when I touch it it says "portrait orientation locked" and when I touch it again it says Portrait orientation unlocked, what is this? there is a volume adjuster.

Those are your controls for the music player. So, for example, if you have music playing while you're doing other things on the phone, you can quickly flip to that section to adjust the volume or change the song (or go back a song).

The portrait orientation keeps the screen from switching from portrait to landscape mode as you tilt the phone.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks CWA-

so you are saying it is not best to close the apps that would be using data? I went to a secure site in Safari to check my Verizon account and I could not figure out how to close that so it was not available to anybody else.

when I double click the home button and it shows the desktop why are there icon impressions of the usual icons that are there normally? Is that normal to have that? It looks like the icons have burned their impression into the screen.

wow, there is a lot I need to learn about this phone. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The Portrait orientation Locked is so when you rotate your iphone it won't change from portrait to landscape. The Volume adjustment is for the volume obviously and the play/pause is for music.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks CWA-

so you are saying it is not best to close the apps that would be using data? I went to a secure site in Safari to check my Verizon account and I could not figure out how to close that so it was not available to anybody else.

When you're done using an app, you click the Home button (to return home). The app essentially pauses in the background and you continue going about your tasks. There is no reason to concern yourself with closing the apps as TattooedMac explained, unless you're having a problem with an app and want to force quit it.

If you want to close a webpage (so no one else can see it), simply browse to a new page. Or hit the button at the lower-right to show all open pages and then close the ones you don't want open.

when I double click the home button and it shows the desktop why are there icon impressions of the usual icons that are there normally? Is that normal to have that? It looks like the icons have burned their impression into the screen.

What you're seeing is a list of open applications. This is your control for forcibly quitting them if you choose to do so (under normal operation, this is not necessary).

wow, there is a lot I need to learn about this phone. :)

It's pretty simple to pick up. Be sure to take the time to read the user guide I linked to above. Lots of good info there.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about the semi circle thing that says Portrait orientation unlocked and Portrait Orientation Locked when it is clicked?
Those are your controls for the music player. So, for example, if you have music playing while you're doing other things on the phone, you can quickly flip to that section to adjust the volume or change the song (or go back a song).

The portrait orientation keeps the screen from switching from portrait to landscape mode as you tilt the phone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about the semi circle thing that says Portrait orientation unlocked and Portrait Orientation Locked when it is clicked?

Let me try to explain this another way.

Your phone will automatically flip the display from portrait mode to landscape mode as you rotate the phone in your hand. So, for example, if you're reading a website and you'd like to see more of the page laterally (longways, or "landscape"), just rotate the phone in your hand and you'll notice that the screen rotates to that view. Conversely, if you want to go back to viewing it upright, rotate the phone back to the upright position (with the home button pointing to the floor). The screen will follow your motion and rotate into "portrait" mode.

So, there may be times when this is not a desirable behavior (automatically rotating). The portrait orientation lock, when engaged, will prevent this from occurring.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA-Ah, I should have been able to figure that out. thanks
Let me try to explain this another way.

Your phone will automatically flip the display from portrait mode to landscape mode as you rotate the phone in your hand. So, for example, if you're reading a website and you'd like to see more of the page laterally (longways, or "landscape"), just rotate the phone in your hand and you'll notice that the screen rotates to that view. Conversely, if you want to go back to viewing it upright, rotate the phone back to the upright position (with the home button pointing to the floor). The screen will follow your motion and rotate into "portrait" mode.

So, there may be times when this is not a desirable behavior (automatically rotating). The portrait orientation lock, when engaged, will prevent this from occurring.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWQ-
Yea, I saw the Users Guide in Safari on the iPhone and it is a lot of reading. Is this the manual you are suggesting I read or are there others? Maybe some more condensed or is this the one. I have learned so much in just the day I have had it playing around with things, but I went through a fully charged battery too. :)
When you're done using an app, you click the Home button (to return home). The app essentially pauses in the background and you continue going about your tasks. There is no reason to concern yourself with closing the apps as TattooedMac explained, unless you're having a problem with an app and want to force quit it.

If you want to close a webpage (so no one else can see it), simply browse to a new page. Or hit the button at the lower-right to show all open pages and then close the ones you don't want open.

What you're seeing is a list of open applications. This is your control for forcibly quitting them if you choose to do so (under normal operation, this is not necessary).

It's pretty simple to pick up. Be sure to take the time to read the user guide I linked to above. Lots of good info there.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was more concerned with ALL the APPS that I thought might be using some data. Like Safari, Mail being open with the number of unread emails one has, not sure if the Map App used much data, and the icloud that allows one to follow you by GPS I guess in case you lose your iPhone. All together would you still say the data usage is minimal? if you have time regarding the GPS that tracks me or the phone so if it is lost it can be found. it is best to leave that one, am I correct?
The iPhone doesn't typically keep tasks running in the background, unless they're absolutely necessary. So, when you're not actively using Safari, it is essentially "paused" and not consuming data.

Regardless, most data plans run around 2GB/mo. That's actually a good bit of data if you're not constantly downloading videos, music and other multimedia rich content on a very regular basis on 3G/4G. If you reserve those activities for times that you're on WiFi, chances are you'll be fine.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I followed what TattMac suggested to close Safari because I was concerned that I had signed in to MyVerizon to view my account. I just now opened Safari after I clicked to shut it down as described above awhile ago, when I opened Safari it went right to the MyVerizon page that I was signed into. so I guess double clicking the Apps and closing Safari like I did for some reason either did not work, or when I just opened Safari the MyVerizon webpage was open and I was still signed in. Interesting

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It may have gone to the page but were you still logged in? I doubt it but I am not sure. That may vary from site to site.

There are some apple that will remain open if there is some kind of activity going on that requires updated information. I think some weather apps do this, stock updates, etc. The app store will for example remain open if a download is in progress.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me see if I can explain this correctly. Safari was down near Phone and Mail & Music. I had gone to the home page, which is the way I had left the Apps since I just am learning how to use the phone. So, I went to the Home page and pushed the top on/off button for a short time to make the screen go black. I dealt with a few post/replies here, ate my dinner, and wanted to see how the other reply worked. I pushed the on/off button on top on and put my passcode in and was at the Home page. I wanted to see the small "X" that I could touch to close the webpages. I opened Safari and the page that was there when it opened was the My Verizon page, so I made them small, saw the iPhone user guide and a webpage called iForgot which I guess was from my MacBook Pro on my desk as I was trying to find out why I could not sign in to the icloud. so I clicked the MyVerizon webpage and it closed, I also by accident did the same to the Phone User's Manual, and iForgot said "unable to reload the page." The iPhone picks up on websites that one is using on another computer? I did not go to iForgot on the iPhone only on my MBP. Interesting.
It may have gone to the page but were you still logged in? I doubt it but I am not sure. That may vary from site to site.

There are some apple that will remain open if there is some kind of activity going on that requires updated information. I think some weather apps do this, stock updates, etc. The app store will for example remain open if a download is in progress.

C

chas_m

IMO, you are waaaaaaaaaaay overthinking this.

Basically, apps will NOT use 3G data unless they are in active use. Push notifications (which can be turned off en masse in preferences) can use a TINY TINY amount of data, as can email (if you have deliberately set it to check under 3G).

The bottom line here is: just use the phone and don't worry about it. Turn off automatic email and push under 3G if you're concerned, but that's the only things I can think of that might POSSIBLY be using ANY data whatsoever without you being conscious of it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not think I am waaaaaaaaaay over thinking this. I am learning the iPhone and this is how I learn. I ask questions. I would not have learned what I already know after just having the iPhone for a few days if I did not take the class and ask questions.

As far as what you are saying about 3G, I have no idea what you mean. I do not even know what you mean about automatic email. I would like to know, but if it stresses you out to answer questions or explain to someone then that is OK. I will learn it another place.

Thanks
IMO, you are waaaaaaaaaaay overthinking this.

Basically, apps will NOT use 3G data unless they are in active use. Push notifications (which can be turned off en masse in preferences) can use a TINY TINY amount of data, as can email (if you have deliberately set it to check under 3G).

The bottom line here is: just use the phone and don't worry about it. Turn off automatic email and push under 3G if you're concerned, but that's the only things I can think of that might POSSIBLY be using ANY data whatsoever without you being conscious of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.