Help Me Build My Mac Entertainment Center

Reaction score
Im not 100% familiar with all of the Mac products, so Im going to lay out what Im thinking of doing and what I hope the setup is capable of and the little questions I have. Hopefully some of the experts here will make quick work of my inquiries.

Modem/WiFi Router
If you have any suggestions on a brand or model, let me know. Im basically just looking to pick up a modem/WiFi router combo that isnt going to break my wallet. Maybe if Im lucky the internet company I go with will provide one?

V

XBox 360
- For obvious reasons, I want this hard wired to my router.

Apple Time Capsule
- I believe this has to be connected via ethernet cable to the router does it not?
- Time Machine will be running to backup: SeaGate ext HD, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, iPad 3, iPhone 4 .... can this all be done wirelessly thru this private home network?
- I will have my SeaGate 1TB external HD plugged into the USB port of the Time Capsule. This will be my server where I plan to have all my pics, movies, and music accessed from via the network.
- Able to send data to any other devices on the network via Apple Air Drop

V

Flat Screen
- XBox connected via HDMI
- Apple TV connected via HDMI. Do I need a Apple TV if I have a Mac Mini?

V

Mac Mini
- Connected to TV wirelessly via Apple TV? Is this possible or must it be connected via HDMI?
- Will the Mac Mini be wirelessly backed up to my Time Capsules Time Machine?
- Charging station for iPhones/iPads etc
- Wirless Keyboard is necessary
- Magic Track pad or Magic Mouse?
- I have an extra Super Drive, will I be using and/or needing it for the Mac Mini?

V

Airport Express
- WiFi repeater
- Small speaker connected to it

V

Bang & Olufsen Beolit 12
- Home stereo system
- Playing any media's sounds on other devices via Air Play, including TV (or does it need to be plugged into the TV?) Ive seen it written that AirPlay wont play videos sound from a MacBook to a AirPort Express, is this true? Does playing videos via AirPlay only send the sound out to a Apple TV unit? If so, this would require the Beolit 12 to be plugged into the Flat Screen.

V

MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone
- Connected to the network wirelessly
- Play music or videos via AirPlay to AppleTV/AirportExpress/Beolit 12
- Able to access the SeaGate ext HD from anywhere

I already own most of the stuff on this list. I just need the Time Capsule, Apple TV, and replace my MacBook Air. Im thinking that since the MacBook Air will be a expensive purchase, I could get a Mac Mini for the time being until a later time.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.