Extreme modding on an Ibook

Reaction score
Hi
Money is short round house and I was thinking of buying an old Ibook g4 as I once had one and found them to be a really good design and most reliable. However, I would like to bring it up to date buy maybe installing an internal isight camera from an imac g5 and perhaps even giving it an touchscreen. I was wondering how feasible was this and if anyone else had tried it.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Robbie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I would like to bring it up to date buy maybe installing an internal isight camera from an imac g5 and perhaps even giving it an touchscreen.

If any of this were possible…you would be MUCH better off spending the $$$ to do this project on a newer, faster, and more feature rich Macintosh computer.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And OSX does not do touch screen and I hope it never goes like Windows 8 is going.

Nick said the rest!

OP
R
Reaction score
ok maybe not that extreme

I found this on the internet a week ago and it made me think.
Macbook iSight in a G4 iBook | Applefritter
The touchscreen idea was mainly for drawing and was a little head in the clouds I admit. Yet with a little patience I think it maybe conceivable to put in an old G5 camera turning a £60 quid machine into something a little more.

Robbie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I found this on the internet a week ago and it made me think.
Macbook iSight in a G4 iBook | Applefritter
The touchscreen idea was mainly for drawing and was a little head in the clouds I admit. Yet with a little patience I think it maybe conceivable to put in an old G5 camera turning a £60 quid machine into something a little more.

Robbie

Hey…go for it if you see this as an interesting project to try.:) But if you wanted this computer be a "daily user"…the money invested in this project would be better spend on at least some sort of Intel based Mac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Money is short round house and I was thinking of buying an old Ibook g4 as I once had one and found them to be a really good design and most reliable. However, I would like to bring it up to date buy maybe installing an internal isight camera from an imac g5 and perhaps even giving it an touchscreen. I was wondering how feasible was this and if anyone else had tried it.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
If you're going to **** away money, you might do better to do it on women and beer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.