Security software

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
Hello all
My first post so please forgive any odd entries that may occur
I have recently changed from PC to iMac and previously always used Norton firewall and antivirus software. I am told that it is not required on Macs. I am with BT broadband and they offer free McAfee security protection. Could anyone give me an opinion as to what is considered the best to do in respect of security with Macs and if the BT software would be useful?
Many Thanks
SRL

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As far as firewall goes, you want to use what comes with a router. You don't want to directly plug into the broadband modem directly. This provides the greatest amount of protection with no impact on your machine. The alternative to this is to use the software firewall built into OS X..

As far a AntiVirus goes, you can generally skip the ones that stay resident and scan everything as they will slow things down. Be watchful about what you visit/download/install and you will be OK. A little bit of common sense will keep you out of harms way.

Should you absolutely need an anti-virus to appease your concerns, then looks at ClamXav..

OP
S

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
Thanks

Thanks Raz0rEdge
That was very helpful
SRL

OP
S

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you

Again thanks very much docx for your prompt and comprehensive response
Stephen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.