Problem creating ISO

Reaction score
I want to create an ISO image of a folder on my disk (10.7.5)

Googling led me to instructions that said to open Disk Utility and select File, New, Disk Image from Folder That isn't working... first, I get a prompt for administrative credentials, which makes no sense, as I can read and write to the folder in question no problem. But if I supply them and hit Save, I get an error Unable to create "<name of folder>" (Permission denied) even though, again, I have write permission to my desktop or anywhere else I've tried to save it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just what folder is this you are trying an ISO of?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, I was being sure it was not some system folder that was part of the OS as you would probably get that error. Where are you trying to write the ISO to? Same folder? Another folder? Desktop?

OP
jnojr
Reaction score
Yes, I was being sure it was not some system folder that was part of the OS as you would probably get that error. Where are you trying to write the ISO to? Same folder? Another folder? Desktop?

All of the above.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the exact error Disk Utility is giving? I am wondering if it's some files in the source that are causing the error. I have never had a destination error making IOS's with DU before.

OP
jnojr
Reaction score
What is the exact error Disk Utility is giving? I am wondering if it's some files in the source that are causing the error. I have never had a destination error making IOS's with DU before.

Unable to create "<name of folder>" (Permission denied)

I've tried different names, thinking it didn't like to be called the same thing as the source folder, or if it was too long, or ???

I have gone into the Get Info for the folder at pushed out permission changes through the whole thing just to make sure that I can read and write. Maybe I'll grep through the whole tree looking for anomalous permissions...

OP
jnojr
Reaction score
Tried again after

find /path/to/directory -exec chmod -N {} \;
find /path/to/directory -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
find /path/to/directory -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Now, it takes the time to look like it's building the image, but when it gets done, the image disappears and I get an error 'Unable to create "<name of folder"> (Operation not supported)' Again, this is as a user with admin privileges, and writing to my own desktop, so... how do I find out what it's unhappy about???

OP
jnojr
Reaction score
I had a chance to come back to this and look a little more. In /var/log/system.log, I'm seeing:

Nov 8 08:31:36 flamingo [0x0-0x1d61d6].com.apple.DiskUtility[48456]: 2012-11-08 08:31:36.256 copy-helper[48614:707] copy error (canceling): /Volumes/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom: Operation not supported
Nov 8 08:31:36 flamingo copy-helper[48614]: copy error (canceling): /Volumes/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom: Operation not supported

The file in question, though, is in /Volumes/Data/Setup\ Disc/...

Why is the copy process dropping the "Data/"?

flamingo:~ joliver$ ls -le /Volumes/Data/Setup\ Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom
lrwxr-xr-x+ 1 joliver admin 14 Jun 8 2011 /Volumes/Data/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom -> ../Archive.bom
0: user:joliver allow read,write,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity
flamingo:~ joliver$ ls -le /Volumes/Data/Setup\ Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom
-rw-r--r-- 1 joliver admin 52305 Jun 8 2011 /Volumes/Data/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.