Time Machine Backup Help Please

Reaction score
Ok, Im a bit under the gun here. I just got randomly told out of the blue by my employer here in Italy that I will have to turn my MacBook into the office before I leave my job here to return the USA. Im basically getting screwed out of my computer but that is a whole 'nother story all together.

The reason Im making this post is that they told me last minute and I dont have a lot of time to backup everything.

I use Time Machine already. I have a SeaGate 1TB ext hard drive that I have partitioned. 500GB are for the Time Machine backup. I back things up daily.

I should just be able to unplug the ext HD and reset this MacBook to factory settings. Then return to the USA, buy a new MacBook, plug the ext HD in upon booting the new computer up and it will restore everything as good as new correct?

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. This is very stressful.

The Time Machine backs up all my settings, dock settings, files, movies, apps, software installations, ETC ETC ETC correct? It basically just makes a carbon copy of my existing 256GB MacBook hard drive?

Let me know. And advise is welcome. Thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok, Im a bit under the gun here. I just got randomly told out of the blue by my employer here in Italy that I will have to turn my MacBook into the office before I leave my job here to return the USA. Im basically getting screwed out of my computer but that is a whole 'nother story all together.

If it was YOUR computer, they'd have no right to tell you to return it. Since they are telling you to do so, and you intend to comply, I take it they paid for it; it's company property; and it's not really your computer. I don't get how it is you feel you are being screwed. But that's another matter.

I should just be able to unplug the ext HD and reset this MacBook to factory settings. Then return to the USA, buy a new MacBook, plug the ext HD in upon booting the new computer up and it will restore everything as good as new correct?

Pretty much. It'd be the same as migrating a user account and applications off another Mac.

The Time Machine backs up all my settings, dock settings, files, movies, apps, software installations, ETC ETC ETC correct? It basically just makes a carbon copy of my existing 256GB MacBook hard drive?

No, not a carbon copy. It backs up your user account settings; personal files, preferences, etc; and applications (assuming you didn't override anything). It is not an outright carbon copy with all the system files, nor is it bootable like a proper clone. If you kept all your stuff in your user home folder, then everything "should" be there. If you varied from the standard folder structures/hierarchies, then maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
If it was YOUR computer, they'd have no right to tell you to return it. Since they are telling you to do so, and you intend to comply, I take it they paid for it; it's company property; and it's not really your computer. I don't get how it is you feel you are being screwed. But that's another matter.

Since you insist on the details.

Yes they bought it. No it is not theirs. They bought it as part of my compensation. It's written in my contract. Salary plust specific equipment needed for my job. Of which, this computer is. And the computer itself is listed in the contract as such.

There is no grey area here. They have a loaner MacBook at my work that I could have used. I negotiated into my deal getting my own, with the known intention of keeping it and taking it back to the USA with me. Had I known that they would want the computer back, I would not have agreed to the financial terms and I would have taken the alternate offer for more money that was on the table, and then would have bought the equipment myself. It was a wash so it really didnt matter to me at the time.

They are just pulling a shady move because they can. They have my final paycheck that was due to be paid to me today. But they said they are holding it until they get the computer back.

This is Italy, they know I cannot and will not try and sue. It is a fruitless endeavor here. Contracts mean very little in this country. Actual tangible leverage is the only things that matter in negotiating with them. It's a common theme here. Up until now, I'd had nothing but a perfect experience dealing with these people but it is what it is. I just want to go home and be done with it.

It isnt right, but I dont have a whole lotta leverage here.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Thanks for the help btw regarding the Time Machine. Im going to back up everything twice on another couple HDs (movies, music, pic files etc) just to be safe.

But it sounds like the Time Machine deal will work pretty smoothly for what Im asking.

And no, I never messed with any of the file structure. I have some stuff in the "Downloads" file that I dont want to lose as well as some stuff in the "Documents" file that I want to keep. That stuff will automatically transfer over as well right?

Reaction score
I would give them a call, and tell them that if they don't pay in the next seven days, I would show my lawyer that contract.

That scares a lot of people off, worth a try...

SM

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I would give them a call, and tell them that if they don't pay in the next seven days, I would show my lawyer that contract.

That scares a lot of people off, worth a try...

SM

In America, that MIGHT work. In Italy, that means little. And it definitely wont scare anyone here.

Look, Im not trying to say that all Italians are shady. Tho, anyone whose dealt with them would say that.

I just think this person is just trying to pull one over on me because he can in this case. He knows Im stressed about the move, I got my fiance with me (and you know how difficult moving is on a woman), and that we are leaving in just 36 hours, oh and yeah, he's holding on to my last paycheck. It's why he brought it up now instead of months ago when I put my notice in.

Like I said, it is what it is. I just want to be done with it and go back to the States. I'll get another computer. The pictures and home movies can never be replaced. Those are my main concern at this time.

Reaction score
I don't see the problem, don't get me wrong... if you didn't have it in writing I wouldn't go on about it.
You can just take your computer home, and if you don't get paid, your lawyer will get you your money.

If you don't get paid, he stands to lose more than just the amount he owes you, simple... that's what you signed a contract for, isn't it?

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I don't see the problem, don't get me wrong... if you didn't have it in writing I wouldn't go on about it.
You can just take your computer home, and if you don't get paid, your lawyer will get you your money.

If you don't get paid, he stands to lose more than just the amount he owes you, simple... that's what you signed a contract for, isn't it?

Whoops! double post... weird...

Have you ever dealt with Italians? Im trying not to paint them in the worst light or sound like a bigot. But Ive seen them sign a athlete to a $375k 2year contract and then after 3 months just tear it up because they could.

I work in the motorsport racing industry. This sort of thing is common. I could give more examples of situations like this but it really isnt necessary.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that my lawyer can get my money. Especially when my earlier example is of a $375k deal. You think that racer didnt want to get his money from the team? **** right he did. But it was a lost cause.

Im not going after nearly as much money as that.

Working for a foreign race team is a roll of the dice sometimes. Heck, working for any race team is a roll of the dice. Funding is so difficult these days and sponsors routinely stiff their clients in this world. And the **** flows down hill to the employees like me. Even if it is one of the major teams. The example of the $375k was a contract with the Italian Honda distributor. A fully legitimate company that had everything to lose from the bad publicity one would think right? Wrong. The legal system in Italy is a joke, especially for a foreigner.

And for the record, I do work for one of the major motorcycle manufacturer teams in the world. This is no mom and pop outfit. You are right to assume that the threat of a lawsuit should prompt them to do the right thing.

When my employer dropped by today in my apartment to go over everything he even had his copy of the contract in hand. And I had mine in my briefcase. That is how arrogant he is about his position. Look, I have experience in dealing with these sorts of matters. Ive seen it go down before.

I appreciate your caring in this matter and attempts and help. But I guess until you've actually dealt with Italians on their turf, you just dont know how difficult they can be to deal with in these matters.

Im going to have one more discussion with him about it tomorrow. It will probably not be a pleasant one. I may or may not convince him the error of his ways. But Im not counting on it.

Reaction score
Well then, the only thing I can say, is good luck for tomorrow :)
I hope things will work out for you.

SM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im going to have one more discussion with him about it tomorrow. It will probably not be a pleasant one. I may or may not convince him the error of his ways. But Im not counting on it.

You're doing the right thing. A computer is not worth the trouble. Be polite and pleasant with your employer, even go as far as thanking him. I know that might not be easy but honey goes a lot farther than lemon juice. ;) And.... enjoy your life with your soon to be wife and put all that behind you.

You can always buy another computer!

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
You're doing the right thing. A computer is not worth the trouble. Be polite and pleasant with your employer, even go as far as thanking him. I know that might not be easy but honey goes a lot farther than lemon juice. ;) And.... enjoy your life with your soon to be wife and put all that behind you.

You can always buy another computer!

I totally appreciate your and Sur3Mac's advice and support.

And too be honest, this year living in Italy has been a blast, and largely due to the benevolence of my employer. I guess the worst part about this latest debacle is that it has me leaving this country with a sour taste in my mouth.

Times are tough for everyone and when its like this, you see everyone's ugly side.

But back on topic....

Will the Time Machine be restoring stuff as trivial as my screen saver settings?

I know some of the questions Im asking must sound stupid and redundant, I just want to be absolutely sure of what Im doing before I wipe this thing.

I'd love to be able to just buy a identical computer in the states, and once Time Machine restores it, not even be able to tell there was a change of hardware.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Oh, and one other thing....

What is the procedure for wiping this baby clean when Im done? Complete reboot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Will the Time Machine be restoring stuff as trivial as my screen saver settings?

I know some of the questions Im asking must sound stupid and redundant, I just want to be absolutely sure of what Im doing before I wipe this thing.

I'd love to be able to just buy a identical computer in the states, and once Time Machine restores it, not even be able to tell there was a change of hardware.

Time Machine backs up everything including your application settings, screen saver and its settings. I've used Time Machine several times in the past to migrate from one machine to another and it has always worked well.

One note to remember, however. Do not create an account on your new Mac before using Time Machine. In other words, as soon as you turn on your new Mac it's going to ask if you wish to restore from another machine. Answer yes and attach your TM backup drive. It may take a few minutes but everything will be migrated. Time Machine will not overwrite the system files and kexts on the new machine so no worry about that.

Since you're traveling overseas back to the US, I would make two backup copies using Time Machine to two separate hard drives just in case. If you have two external hard drives to spare, that is. And hand carry one of them with you. The other can be placed in your shipped baggage.

When you return to the US you can shop at a local Apple Store nearest your home and buy one of the new machines that were refreshed for 2012. It doesn't have to be the exact model you had before. Time Machine will work on any Mac.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Also, another question....

Will Time Machine back up all the user profiles on my computer? Me and my girl have been sharing this computer but have our own profiles. I want to make sure all her stuff gets backed up as well.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, TM will backup and restore both profiles.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Time Machine backs up everything including your application settings, screen saver and its settings. I've used Time Machine several times in the past to migrate from one machine to another and it has always worked well.

One note to remember, however. Do not create an account on your new Mac before using Time Machine. In other words, as soon as you turn on your new Mac it's going to ask if you wish to restore from another machine. Answer yes and attach your TM backup drive. It may take a few minutes but everything will be migrated. Time Machine will not overwrite the system files and kexts on the new machine so no worry about that.

Since you're traveling overseas back to the US, I would make two backup copies using Time Machine to two separate hard drives just in case. If you have two external hard drives to spare, that is. And hand carry one of them with you. The other can be placed in your shipped baggage.

When you return to the US you can shop at a local Apple Store nearest your home and buy one of the new machines that were refreshed for 2012. It doesn't have to be the exact model you had before. Time Machine will work on any Mac.

Excellent advise. Thankyou. You guys have eased a most of my concerns.

What is a "refreshed for 2012"?

I currently have the latest model MacBook Air. I picked it up around May. Wouldnt I just need to go buy another MacBook Air? They havent come out with anything new since then have they? Not that it would matter, I understand what you are saying. All the OS's are up to date regardless of recent models.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
BTW, I notice you got the iPhone 5 already. We dont have them here yet so I havent seen it in person.

How are you liking it? Is the video that much better? Would I be able to film decent YouTube vids (with use of a decent lens setup of course) with the new iPhone? Im thinking of making the switch from Android with regards to my mobile.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is a "refreshed for 2012"?

Any machine that Apple came out with in 2012. That includes the Air, MBP, and Retina MBP. So yes, you should be able to buy an identical MacBook Air to the one you have in Italy.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Any machine that Apple came out with in 2012. That includes the Air, MBP, and Retina MBP. So yes, you should be able to buy an identical MacBook Air to the one you have in Italy.

If I decided to try and save some money early on during this move, and went with a Mac Mini would that work? Or would it have to be a laptop?

And just out of curiosity... How easy is it to use a Mac Mini with my flat screen as the monitor? I plan on getting a Apple TV gizmo for my flat screen when we get back and I get to setting up our entertainment center. Is it as easy as using the HDMI output on the Mac Mini?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.