Advice Needed on Selling Damaged Macbook. Price?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a new computer, as my macbook of many years has had a lot of wear and tear. I was looking to sell it for repair or parts.

Mac OS X: Version 10.5.8
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Here's the faults:

Broken disk drive (rejects all disks - DVDs and CDs).
Broken backlight on screen. It only lights up at certain angles.
Some small water marks on the screen.
Some marks and chips on the casing.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonable price for me to sell this at? I'm in the UK, so in pounds sterling.
Thanks!

Reaction score
I'd say you'd get no more for it then £50 - 60
It would only be the logic board, the HDD, and the RAM that would be eligible for selling, maybe the keyboard/Trackpad (depends on the state).

SM

OP
K
Reaction score
I'd say you'd get no more for it then £50 - 60
It would only be the logic board, the HDD, and the RAM that would be eligible for selling, maybe the keyboard/Trackpad (depends on the state).

SM

Thanks for the reply, Sur3Mac.

That's disappointing, but better than nothing.

I had looked on ebay to see what similar items were selling for and there were faulty macbooks on buy it now for £200+. The machine works perfectly well bar the dead DVD drive (not the harddrive, sorry) and the dodgy backlight, so if someone could repair it they'd have a pretty good computer on their hands.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just out of curiosity what is your new system?

The backlight issue sounds like the cable since you say it comes on when you angle the screen. That really sounds like the cable to the inverter/backlight.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply, Sur3Mac.

That's disappointing, but better than nothing.

I had looked on ebay to see what similar items were selling for and there were faulty macbooks on buy it now for £200+.

Items with unreasonable "Buy It Now" prices on e-Bay don't sell. Folks that do this are hoping that some unknowing "dummy" will buy their item for a ridiculous price.

Mac2Sell.net says that the used value of your computer WOULD BE (if it was working 100%)…£190. Broken…it's not worth a whole lot. You can see how ridiculous those £200+ prices for broken MacBooks are on e-Bay.

When you're trying to sell broken/not fully working computers…it hard to put an exact value on them. One thing you do know…they sell for a good bit less that a 100% working unit of the same model.

About all you can do is…take your best guess…and put it up for sale and see what happens. If it's priced fairly…it will sell. If it's not priced fairly…it won't sell. If it doesn't sell…then you have to lower the price. Selling broken computers is not an exact science!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
I bought my wife's Macbook 4or 5 months ago (a 2010 model) for 275 euro's, thats 220 pounds.
And that thing is 100% operational.

SM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You got that MacBook at a very good price. I recently sold a 2008 model here in Fort Worth for much more that that. The small white MacBooks hold their value real well if they're in good condition.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Nick. To be honest, I was pretty doubtful about the buy it now prices, so I'm glad to have had that cleared-up. Either way, I was planning on getting a new computer eventually, and the macbook has done me well over the years, so all I can say is "oh well"! A few pound is better than nothing.

Just out of curiosity what is your new system?

The backlight issue sounds like the cable since you say it comes on when you angle the screen. That really sounds like the cable to the inverter/backlight.

I went back to PC, if only because games didn't run well on my macbook. I got a Toshiba Satellite

Reaction score
You got that MacBook at a very good price. I recently sold a 2008 model here in Fort Worth for much more that that. The small white MacBooks hold their value real well if they're in good condition.

Well, he was selling it for 350 euro's, I just managed to chew off a few euro's, because it has the strips that came off of it at the palm rests, both about an inch long.

But other than that... it's a mean machine.

SM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went back to PC, if only because games didn't run well on my macbook. I got a Toshiba Satellite

They're a good machine. I have one still kicking that I bought in 2003. The original battery still gives me one hour.... amazing machine.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a new computer, as my macbook of many years has had a lot of wear and tear. I was looking to sell it for repair or parts.

Mac OS X: Version 10.5.8
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Here's the faults:

Broken disk drive (rejects all disks - DVDs and CDs).
Broken backlight on screen. It only lights up at certain angles.
Some small water marks on the screen.
Some marks and chips on the casing.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonable price for me to sell this at? I'm in the UK, so in pounds sterling.
Thanks!
25 pounds, if you include the power supply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.