Airport Extreme setup help needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
So, I switched (or at least I think I have) my Netgear DG834N to Modem only mode and connected with Ethernet to my new Airport Extreme. Following the very bare instructions in Airport Utility I reset the Netgear before powering off and on again.

AE appears to be creating a WiFi signal just fine but is not finding the internet. Not surprising really as I have not been asked for my internet login details. Where should these be input and more to the point should the AE have asked for them on startup?

If the ISP login should be via the Netgear, why does switching into Modem only mode turn this functionality off?

My new replacement modem order is delayed by a week but I would like to get the above combination working in the meantime. My ISP requires PPPoA and I know that the AE works on PPPoE and connection is made to BT phone line. My new modem (TP-Link TD8817) when it arrives will cope with this and I understood the Netgear in Modem only mode would do so as well. Have I been given incorrect information?

Any, non technical, jargon-free help would be appreciated - especially if any acronyms are explained to this comms dumbhead. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
Open up your airport utility then click on internet tab just fill in username and password and update the utility and you should be good to go..

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Open up your airport utility then click on internet tab just fill in username and password and update the utility and you should be good to go..

Nope. Doesn't work!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.