Fried Dialup Modem..any replacments?

A

Abrodzinski

Hello, I would like to introduce myself, I just signed up for the forums, I am switching over to Mac this summer when I finish my graphics design degree...You just cant beat the reliability of macs....They just always work!!

Anywho... my parents have an 1.4ghz emac thats aprox. 2 yrs old and one day after a big thunder storm their connection became really slow and the modem never connects right, to connect you have to hit connect THEN plug in the phone line...then u get 19k lol. Well I was trying to find a modem and I came up short...any clue where I could get one? All apple has in the store is the new G5/mini modem and only works on OSX10.4

any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

OP
A

Abrodzinski

Wow thanks thats just what I was lookin for!

I already opened it up, at first I couldnt get it open because of the screws that went threw the feet lol. I noticed that it has some sort of capacitor looking device and cord running from the plug to the modem...would that need replacing too? And also the modem seems to be only about the size of half a business card...just checkin to make sure this is the modem? (lol my pc one is a full pci card)

thanks again!

OP
B

Badger

The cord and damper don't need to be replaced unless they've been damaged. It's just the RJ11 socket, connector wire and interference damper. Yes, it's small. To be sure to get the right part you can match the model # from the old one to the new when you order.
PS: You might get your parents a surge protector with a telephone line protector included.

OP
A

Abrodzinski

Thanks badger, Now that I look at it closer its more of a cardboard tube than a capacitor haha.

I pulled it out a few minitues ago and it looks just like the 49.99 one for sure, only I dont have any model #922-6492 on it, should be ok though, its an 04 emac.

haha the funny part is they have a surge protector with the phoneline protection...only usefull if you run the phoneline through it :)

thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.