Very slow connection.

Reaction score
I am at my wits end. I am running a MacBook Pro and my ISP is Orange.

About 3 weeks ago my internet connection started dropping out for a couple of hours and then going back to normal. This happens a few times a day and in fact has done the same up to the present day.

I always keep my Mac maintained and cleaned with Onyx.

I have contacted Orange and all they want me to do is contact their so-called technical support line in India. I don't want to go down this road because past experience has taught me that talking to these people in India is a waste of time that is if you can in fact understand what they are saying.
Have any of you guys out there got any ideas of what is causing this random drop out - it is so frustrating.
Could it be my equipment or is it a line fault

Apparently my telephone exchange is within 1 mile of my house.

Thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is your router dropping the internet connection or is you mac losing connection with the router?

Is your MBP connected to the router wirelessly or with a cable?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi

Many thanks for your quick reply.
My router is connected with an ethernet cable and now to come to mention it all the lights are on the router even when it is running slow.

I hope this further info helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Well the first thing to do is power down the router, count 30 seconds then restart.

1. Do any other devices connect to the router?
2. When you say 'slow downs' how are you measuring this?
3. When the connection drops do any of the lights change on the router?
4. If you connect wirelessly do you experience the same issues?

OP
K
Reaction score
I am running another computer upstairs on the same router but even when I disconnect this the performance does not improve.

By "slow down" I mean very slow even to the extent of freezing sometimes.
The lights do not change on the router.
I haven't tried connecting wirelessly- is this important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Does the computer upstairs experience the same issues?
2. have you power cycled the router?
3. "I haven't tried connecting wirelessly- is this important. " - important hmmmm depends if you want to look at all the possible causes of the issues you're experiencing - i.e. is the ethernet connection on your Mac at fault?
4. How is the upstairs computer connected to the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xserve, iMAC, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPAD 2, Iphone 4s
1. Does the computer upstairs experience the same issues?
2. have you power cycled the router?
3. "I haven't tried connecting wirelessly- is this important. " - important hmmmm depends if you want to look at all the possible causes of the issues you're experiencing - i.e. is the ethernet connection on your Mac at fault?
4. How is the upstairs computer connected to the router?

i would ask the same questions, if the computer upstairs drops the internet and powering off the router doesn't correct the issue most likely means an ISP issue. you might have to make that call to india after all.

what kind of router is it and how old?

OP
K
Reaction score
I have just power cycled the router and I don't know if it is coincidence but it is performing well now.

I will let you know - many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work. Cycling the modem/router can solve a lot of problems.

My ISP Service Department is in The Phillipines so understand your problem. Their only suggestions are 1. Turn off modem/router and leave unplugged for five minutes. 2. Reset to default and then enter the URL and set up again. 3. Reboot your computer.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well it seems like the old problem is back again. Sometimes it is fine and then it runs painfully slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With it getting better after power cycling the router I'd say that's definitely the issue here.

Do you have another router you could try?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.