Problem using Mail with Lion

Reaction score
My old MBP was stolen recently, so I purchased a replacement which came with Lion installed. (My old MBP ran Snow Leopard.) After I set up my and my wife's Gmail email accounts in Mail using IMAP, I began experiencing some problems in the way my email account displays my messages.

Problem #1) When I click on my wife's mail under "Inbox" in the left sidebar her messages display just fine. However, when I click on my mail under "Inbox," sometimes it displays, but sometimes it just doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to click on "All Mail" under my Gmail account further down in the left hand sidebar. What do I need to do in order to consistently view my messages from the Inbox?

Problem #2) This is probably related to the above problem. When I view my messages from "All Mail," the blue dot that indicates an unread message goes away, as it's supposed to. However, when I am finally able to view my messages under "Inbox" the blue dot is still next to the message that I've already read under "All Mail.". Why does this happen? If it's read in one part of Mail, shouldn't it be marked as Read in all parts?

Problem #3) I have deleted some messages and moved other messages to folders, only to discover them all back in the Inbox later! (My wife experiences this same problem with her messages.) Why does this happen? But more importantly, how can I delete and move them so they stay deleted and moved?

Thanks for any advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.