iMac running Lion, External HD running Mountain Lion, is that why Ph-shop won't work?

Reaction score
Can't access my applications from external HD on ICY can someone advise please?

Hi, feel quite lost, my 24' iMac was recently updated by computer guy, who put in a new hard drive and upgraded to Mountain Lion, all my info was on desktop waiting to be transferred back into folders when my GFX gave out. I managed to get someone else to get hard drive out, bought a 2nd hand refurb'd iMac and an ICY BOX, have plugged it in, and now I'm stuck as to what to do.

The imac has Lion, I think that's why I can't open photoshop from the external HD, as I'm guessing that's only compatible with Mountain Lion.

I can see all my info there on the HD - I don't want to start importing stuff until I'm sure that's the right thing to do. Should I upgrade the new iMac first? Or can I just drag and drop operating system files from the external HD to the new HD. My computer guy won't call me back and I need to use the programmes but don't want to mess up my new PC.

I'm very good at following instructions but there's nothing out there eon the web I can find to tell me how to proceed.

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks in advance of any help you can offer

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, I posted this in switcher yesterday and despite loads of views, no replies, could someone just answer yes or no please? I'm pretty sure that the reason I can't run my apps is cos the iMac is Lion.

To recap, my 24' iMac was recently updated by computer guy, who put in a new hard drive and upgraded it to Mountain Lion, all my info was on desktop waiting to be transferred back into folders when my GFX gave out. I managed to get someone else to get hard drive out, bought a 2nd hand refurb'd iMac and an ICY BOX, have plugged it in, and now I'm stuck as to what to do.

The imac has Lion, I think that's why I can't open photoshop from the external HD, as I'm guessing that's only compatible with Mountain Lion.

I can see all my info there on the HD - I don't want to start importing stuff until I'm sure that's the right thing to do. Should I upgrade the new iMac first? Or can I just drag and drop operating system files from the external HD to the new HD. My computer guy won't call me back and I need to use the programmes but don't want to mess up my new PC. When I click on PShop it comes up with a box asking me to re-install it (and my original disc is somewhere in the loft, I can't find it and so am scuppered just re-installing it).

I'm very good at following instructions but there's nothing out there on the web I can find to tell me how to proceed.

Could someone point me in the right direction please? I don't really get ICY boxes and can't find an idiots guide online.

Many thanks in advance of any help you can offer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You cant just drag the OS off the old disk onto your new one, that will definatelly screw your mac up.

If you want Photoshop back, firstly, what version of Photoshop is on the old drive?

OP
A
Reaction score
Strangely enough you can, I chose Go, Utilities, Migration Assistant and Bob is my proverbial uncle and all is well in garden, fabulous. I phoned a techy. So easy. Just cracking on with importing all my files now (as they were'nt added before the GFX card went pop. He's gonna have a go at fixing next. Whoo hoo.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just note, you may run into other issues using Migration Assistant to migrate from a newer OS to an older OS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For one... programs that are designed to work with Mountain Lion (Mail, iPhoto, Safari) to name a few, may not work at all if installed to Lion. Migrating from an older OS to a new OS or from the same OS is best when using the MA.

OP
A
Reaction score
Mmm. I've not done what you say tho, I would agree you can't move stuff from a higher to a lower OS. However what I did was completely overwrite the OS on the iMac (lion) with the OS from the external HD (Mountain Lion) using migrate and I didn't transfer any other files. I am now importing my itunes (from Snow leopard OS) files to the new OS. It seems to be working beautifully but I appreciate the heads up. If it goes horribly wrong I will let you know!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's fine. As long as you're aware of the pitfalls, you should have no problem then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.