Time Machine backing up 70GB every time even with no changes??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb
Hi my time machine has gone a little funny recently, it seems to be doing almost a full back up every time it starts up. I dont have many docs on my macbook so the backup isnt too large, but every back up time machine does is around 70GB, even if it backs up again an hour later, its another 70gb. This has led to my external drive being full very quickly as you can imagine.

This has only recently begun since I turned off keeping a copy of the latest backup on my computer as well. Could this be the cause?

I just want to get this fixed as at the moment my time machine is backing up 24 hours a day now.

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This has only recently begun since I turned off keeping a copy of the latest backup on my computer as well. Could this be the cause?

Can you elaborate on this please?
Where have you put this backup?
In what format?
Where did it come from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've only had time to skim the other thread but the upshot is that you've turned of local backups.

i.e. these are temporary TM backups made when the main Time Machine disk isn't available.

Are these local backups still present on your Mac?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pretty sure these arent present as there is nothing showing in the about my mac section where it shows you the hard drive space.

Can I turn this section back on then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I'm just trying to ascertain where this 70GB is coming from. Perhaps the backup isn't completing correctly.

It's your call but for me, I'd wipe the TM drive and start a fresh, new TM backup.

Perhaps others will have a more progressive solution

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok well I have decided to bite the bullet and I have completely wiped the old drive and started again with a new fresh time machine backup. I will let you know how it goes once its finished its second backup.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok i wasnt expecting that.... my time machine just did a backup, and decided my total back up was 2.36GB, compared to about the 300GB it should be.

What could of caused TM to decide on doing such a small backup when there were no backups done beforehand?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok i formatted the drive and did a clean time machine backup and everything seems to be running fine now, i think having two Macs using the same drive to backup was causing the problem (I dont use a time capsule which can handle multiple users).

thanks again though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.