EXTERNAL HDD can't mount or be repaired.

Reaction score
Hi my external hard drive suddenly failed on me. All my files for work are there so are my comics and movies. It had a hard drive name of GALLARDO but when it is on disk utility it becomes disk2s1. i have tried verify and repair but no use. all i get is "Disk Utility stopped repairing “disk2s1” because the following error was encountered:Filesystem verify or repair failed." and the log shows: " Verify and Repair volume "disk2s1" Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed. I have tried using disk warrior but my external hard drive is formatted to FAT32, also tried usin data rescue 3 but its stuck at 66.67% at the startup when it tries to read the drive. HELP! I need to recover all my files!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bad news.

You have undertaken the correct steps and still no joy. Next might be commercial rescue but that is oh so dear.

OP
H
Reaction score
if i reformat my HD to a Mac OS format and use disk warrior to rebuild it or data rescue to recover my files will that work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that will only make things worse. You've already tried the big guns and they couldn't repair the drive. One other thing you can try but it's a long shot....

If you can get access to a Windows PC, attach the drive to it and run check disk from a command prompt. For example, if your external drive is drive D you would open a command prompt on the PC and type in the following:

chkdsk d: \f and then press enter. Sometimes check disk is able to repair FAT-32 drives whereas other programs can not.

If that doesn't work, your only other choice is a data recovery service. That will cost you anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending on the size of the drive and how bad it's broken.

OP
H
Reaction score
No, that will only make things worse. You've already tried the big guns and they couldn't repair the drive. One other thing you can try but it's a long shot:

If you can get access to a Windows PC, attach the drive to it and run check disk from a command prompt. For example, if your external drive is drive D you would open a command prompt on the PC and type in the following:

chkdsk d: \f and then press enter.

hey thanks! i will try that. but all the computers in the office are Mac. will have to try it when i get home

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.