Annoying popup any time I want to open a file downloaded from the internet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I downloaded Dropbox and set it as a login item on my user account so that every time I log in it starts up automatically. This works great, except I keep getting this annoying system security popup every time I log in:

Gwkml.png

I realize this is happening because under my security preferences I have selected "Allow applications downloaded from: Mac App Store and identified developers".

My question is why don't I just have to click "open" once and then never have to deal with this popup again? Shouldn't the OS add this app to the acceptable list when I click open? If not, how do I add it to the list of identified developers so that I don't have to deal with this popup anymore?

Regards.

M

MacInWin

Change the option under security to allow applications from anywhere. Run the Dropbox installer once, then reset your security options back to what you have now. From the prompt, it may be that what you are opening is not Dropbox, but the installer. If you have the installer as a login item, you are installing Dropbox each time you log in. So take OUT of the login whatever you have there now, install Dropbox and let it do its thing. My dropbox starts automatically with no prompts, so it can be done.

C

chas_m

Be aware that you have now SERIOUSLY compromised your security. I'd set that back to "Mac App Store and identified developers" as quickly as possible if I was you.

M

MacInWin

Be aware that you have now SERIOUSLY compromised your security. I'd set that back to "Mac App Store and identified developers" as quickly as possible if I was you.
Did you miss where I said, "reset your security options back to what you have now?"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.