Pages - British English vs English

Reaction score
I find it strange that English as used in England, and in the UK generally, is described in Pages as "British English" whereas American English is described simply as "English".

Since the English language originated in England, would it not be more appropriate to describe English English simply as "English" and American English as "American English"?

It's misleading to international users of Pages to describe American English simply as "English" because one would imagine, living as I do outside of both the UK and the US, that the standard international form of English is that spoken and used in England - the home of English - whereas English as used in Canada, Australia, and the United States, etc. is a deviation from that standard.

Does anyone understand Apple's reasoning on this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I don't understand the reasoning either.
The only differences I've seen for both languages is for monetary units ($ and Pound Sterling signs), units (metric system) and the dictionary (tyres, colours).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think us Brits will just have to get used to the fact that we dont own the language anymore and that there are more non British english speakers out there that can claim to own the language as much as anybody.

English's strength is that its an adaptable beast, evolves as it likes and has no central body laying down the laws of English (which would be akin to nailing jelly to a wall).

So India can develop its own English, the Americans can have their toe mate oes and I'll have my tor mart ows and English itself will continue to borrow new words and expressions from all its various branches. Let's call the whole thing off!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's misleading to international users of Pages to describe American English simply as "English" because one would imagine, living as I do outside of both the UK and the US, that the standard international form of English is that spoken and used in England - the home of English - whereas English as used in Canada, Australia, and the United States, etc. is a deviation from that standard.
Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a standard form of any language. There is no "international form" of English since it is taken up in different ways in numerous countries.

As to why Pages has labeled it this way, your guess is as good as ours. My guess is that, by using an American product, they've set their own language as "standard" against which everything else is measured. Thus, American English is standard and thus doesn't need to be qualified.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That's because I am currently the center of the known universe . . . ;) and reside in America.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since when did you usurp that title?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't remember abdicating the title. I'm a little lost here. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.