Cookie control

Reaction score
Hi
I have been trying to control and minimize the number of unrequested cookies that are stored on my computer.
In Safari. Preferences. Security I have removed the ones I don't want but they keep reappearing.
Even when I remove all cookies ans set to Block all Cookies, unwanted cookies keep appearing.
What is the point of having a "Block all" setting if it means nothing?
Can anyone please advise what I might do?
Many thanks
Wrinkly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Best thing to do is use a 3rd party cookie manager. I use Safari Cookies.
Safari Cookies

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
For certain, the above suggestion by Steve Austin & lifeisabeach is popular and effective, but a little pricey. I use Cookie Stumbler which comes in two forms: the basic version is free and there is a paid version which constantly upgrades threats and I like it a lot.

Personal preferences decide things like this.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For certain, the above suggestion by Steve Austin & lifeisabeach is popular and effective, but a little pricey. I use Cookie Stumbler which comes in two forms: the basic version is free and there is a paid version which constantly upgrades threats and I like it a lot.

Pricey? Safari Cookies is free. Cookies, which Bionic Man suggested, is not though.

EDIT: Wait a sec... I just looked over Cookie Stumbler. The basic version isn't free. It's 8 bucks while Cookies is $10. There is no free version. And the "standard" version requires an annual subscription, starting at $20/year. I think your concept of "pricey" is considerably different from mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Cookies, which Bionic Man suggested, is not though.

This is true.

Ive always lived by that old adage of "you get what you pay for" and at the time, I could afford the 7 pounds and glad that I did :)

Once setup, It runs in the background without me having to do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is true.

Ive always lived by that old adage of "you get what you pay for" and at the time, I could afford the 7 pounds and glad that I did :)

Once setup, It runs in the background without me having to do anything.

I've thought about picking it up. Cookies is by the same developer as Safari Cookies, and it has the advantage of not requiring SIMBL. But I dislike the idea of another app running in the Dock, even if it's out of the way otherwise. Do you know of any particular advantages it offers over Safari Cookies that make it worth the plunge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Do you know of any particular advantages it offers over Safari Cookies that make it worth the plunge?

Unfortunately not as Ive never used 'Safari Cookies' so I cant compare and say.
All I know is that 'Cookies' works just flawlessly for me.

Been using it for a while now with no problems at all (Touch wood):eek:

I suppose it comes down to individual taste (and finances) and what works best for that person/system.

OP
W
Reaction score
Best thing to do is use a 3rd party cookie manager. I use Safari Cookies.
Safari Cookies

Hi
Sorry for the delay in replying...been away for a few days.

Thanks to you and Steve for you responses.

I have downloaded Safari Cookies, and have an icon showing, but cant seem to open it to configure it. If I double click the icon it starts the download process again.

Any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi
Sorry for the delay in replying...been away for a few days.

Thanks to you and Steve for you responses.

I have downloaded Safari Cookies, and have an icon showing, but cant seem to open it to configure it. If I double click the icon it starts the download process again.

Any ideas please?

When you download it, you get a disk image (dmg file) that you open and it mounts like a CD. You then get a folder open with 2 files. One is a script to uninstall Safari Cookies. The other is the installer. Run the installer. Once installed, restart Safari and config Safari Cookies from Safari's own preferences menu.

OP
W
Reaction score
When you download it, you get a disk image (dmg file) that you open and it mounts like a CD. You then get a folder open with 2 files. One is a script to uninstall Safari Cookies. The other is the installer. Run the installer. Once installed, restart Safari and config Safari Cookies from Safari's own preferences menu.

Been away again, sorry
Many thanks for your help. All installed and working now. Ninja out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.