bluetooth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I probably posted this question in the wrong place so I'll ask another way. I use a third party app and hardware called STi. It basically is used to receive telemetry data from a RC airplane to my 3g iPhone. Problem is the audio output coming from the iPhones audio output. Dangling headphone wires are dangerous around spinning props.

A friend suggested using a Plantronics 590E hands free that allows switching between phone/itunes/ etc.

My problem is that the pin connector at the bottom of the phone needs to be connected to the STi dongle, so where does the Bluetooth connect? If it connects to the audio jack I would be good to go.

Any one know the answer as to how the 590E connects?

Thanks

KKKKFL

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Bluetooth is a wireless technology. There is no physical connection for you to plug into. The iPhone has support for hands free audio support to connect to headphones, audio support to stream to speakers. The iPad can connect to a keyboard. But the Bluetooth is used in very specific ways..

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks,
I sorta knew that, just didn't think the thing through. So I have this device plugged into my ear, and I can listen to the audio output that's coming to the Audio jack. I'm more confused with how the device seperates incoming phone calls from the audio that the STi application sends to the audio jack.

Also, will the bluetooth device still work with my car's hands free device or will I have to re-sync each time I go from the flying field to the car?

KKKKFL

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The audio jack is a resource iOS makes available to different applications/services that are running. Additionally, there is a priority given to certain services for resources. So if you are using a music player or 3rd party application (like whatever STi is using) to send music/audio to the jack. Should there be a incoming phone call, it has a higher priority than pretty much anything else using the audio jack resource and as such they will all be cut off and the phone call will use the audio jack. Once the phone call ends, the previous application that was using the jack will get to use it again..

The car should support multiple Bluetooth devices and will keep the pairing unless you specifically unpair them. The iPhone likewise will remember the pairing with the car and not need to re-paired each time you get back in the car.

At one point in time I had my iPhone paired with my car and my wife's car and when I was in the garage and the phone rang, it was a total guess as to which car would get the audio..:) Needless to say I unpaired from my wife's car quick and only have it paired with my car..

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
hahaha,
Now that's a funny story...
From your description, I'm not sure I want to proceed with a 100 dollar solution that's not really the way
I want to go. I have become somewhat reliant on the aircraft data when I'm flying and sure would not want
it interrupted with some stupid phone call (80% of the calls I get, the other 20% are from CINC-House and they MUST be answered or I hear about it.) As it is, I get the Incoming phone alarm, but I know from the ring tone when its the wife. Another problem is that the Plantronic 590E solution is a full blown headphone with earmuffs instead of a small Earbud.

I may have to take out my soldering iron and just make an earbud and cable accessory that is just long enough to run from a shirt pocket to my ear with no flapping bits that can fall into a propeller arc.

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.