MS Word for Mac - annoying glitch

Reaction score
I run an iMac, about 5 or 6 years old with OS X v10.6.8, on which I have MS Word for Mac.

Lately, whenever I open a new or existing doc, it appears without the standard or formatting toolbars. If I go to 'View' and 'Toolbars' I see that both the standard and formatting toolbars are checked. But the only way to make them appear is to un-check them and re-check them. It's a work-round, but it's a pain in the foot.

Any suggestions how to fix the glitch?

Restarting doesn't work, making sure I have the latest MS Office for Mac didn't change anything.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2012MBP, Early-2009MBP 15"(new to me)iPad Air 64GB iPad Air 2 6
Which version of Word? I'm running '11 without issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your "Normal" template has become corrupt. You need to delete it and let Word create a new one for you.

Your "Normal.dotm" template is located here:

Shut down all Office applications first and then navigate to:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

Delete it but don't empty the trash. Word will create a new template for you the next time it starts.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your "Normal" template has become corrupt. You need to delete it and let Word create a new one for you.

Your "Normal.dotm" template is located here:

Shut down all Office applications first and then navigate to:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

Delete it but don't empty the trash. Word will create a new template for you the next time it starts.

I'm afraid that didn't work. The new template still didn't show the standard and formatting toolbars.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new Normal Template won't show the tool bars until you select them to be viewed. The next time you open Word after selecting them the first time, they should continue to show up.

OP
M
Reaction score
The new Normal Template won't show the tool bars until you select them to be viewed. The next time you open Word after selecting them the first time, they should continue to show up.

You misunderstand. I mean that the glitch is still there. I open word and the standard and formatting toolbars are still not showing on the new document, nor on any existing doc I choose to open. I go to View -> Toolbars and they are checked, however. The situation is as it was before I deleted the template - if I want to see them I have to un-check them and re-check them.

Any other ideas?

M-o-M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the toolbars are not sticking, and you have to keep reselecting them and have already removed the normal template, the only thing left is to reinstall Office. You can not reinstall Word by itself in the Mac version as you can in the Windows version. The entire suite has to be reinstalled.

OP
M
Reaction score
If the toolbars are not sticking, and you have to keep reselecting them and have already removed the normal template, the only thing left is to reinstall Office. You can not reinstall Word by itself in the Mac version as you can in the Windows version. The entire suite has to be reinstalled.

Let me just check I have you correct - you don't just mean download and install the latest update of MS Office for Mac (because I already did that), you mean either find my old installation disk or get a brand new one and start again from scratch, right?

(By the way, now the wretched default font has changed for no apparent reason!)

M-o-M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to your other post you're using MS Office 2008 with the latest updates to it. If that's correct, use the MS Office 2008 uninstaller or better yet follow Microsoft's instructions for complete removal as given here. That will remove everything except your documents and personal templates.

If you no longer have your Office 2008 install CD, you will either have to buy another or just update and buy Office 2011 instead. Office 2011 single install Home and Student is around $90 from several on line resellers.

OP
M
Reaction score
According to your other post you're using MS Office 2008 with the latest updates to it. If that's correct, use the MS Office 2008 uninstaller or better yet follow Microsoft's instructions for complete removal as given here. That will remove everything except your documents and personal templates.

If you no longer have your Office 2008 install CD, you will either have to buy another or just update and buy Office 2011 instead. Office 2011 single install Home and Student is around $90 from several on line resellers.

Thanks. All noted.

My daughter recently bought Office 2011 for her new 'Book so I might be able to install that. I note from the link that it's easier to do that than to uninstall-reinstall 2008.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.