Buy retina display MacBook 13" -- OR -- Stay with MacBook Pro 2009 (8GB RAM)

Reaction score
What I'm really wondering is when 8GB RAM will be dated. I'm a freelance graphic designer/architecture student so I need my MacBook to do some heavy lifting.

I'd like to update my MacBook after now having it for 3 years and the retina display is very tempting on the 13" when released, but I really don't like the un-upgradable RAM soldered to the board.

I probably won't be able to afford the 16GB model if they release one, so I'll have to go with 8GB, which is what I currently have in my mid '09 MacBook Pro.

So which is better -

- Buying the 8GB retina MacBook Pro (an not having a RAM upgrade)
- Upgrading my mid '09 MacBook Pro with an SSD

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Retina Display

What I'm really wondering is when 8GB RAM will be dated. I'm a freelance graphic designer/architecture student so I need my MacBook to do some heavy lifting.

I'd like to update my MacBook after now having it for 3 years and the retina display is very tempting on the 13" when released, but I really don't like the un-upgradable RAM soldered to the board.

I probably won't be able to afford the 16GB model if they release one, so I'll have to go with 8GB, which is what I currently have in my mid '09 MacBook Pro.

So which is better -

Thanks in advance.

If you are not getting a performance boost then why upgrade?

OP
C
Reaction score
That's a valid point!

I guess the allure of the upgrade itself (and retina display) interests me.

But I am leaning towards the SSD upgrade. I guess I was just wondering if it's worth upgrading anything at this point, if I find that I'll be needing 16GB RAM around the corner...

Reaction score
That's a valid point!

I guess the allure of the upgrade itself (and retina display) interests me.

But I am leaning towards the SSD upgrade. I guess I was just wondering if it's worth upgrading anything at this point, if I find that I'll be needing 16GB RAM around the corner...

the only problem with the 13" line of MBP's is the dual core limit. not sure if that will change with the new retina model. and dont get me wrong i would love to have a retina display MBP. I usually have to talk myself down after every new model release. i have a 3yr old MB Air and love it, just wish i could upgrade the RAM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

So which is better -

You didn't really mention having any specific problems with your '09 MacBook Pro…so I'm not sure I see a need for an expensive computer purchase with the info presented so far. An SSD will make your computer feel "snappier"…especially when rebooting the computer, opening applications, and saving large files.

Also…if you wanted the better performance of a faster cpu and graphics…you could consider a "non-retina" 2012 MacBook Pro…and have the flexibility of being able to upgrade the ram at a later time.

Yes…with this choice you don't get the retina display…but do you really NEED it.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
What I'm really wondering is when 8GB RAM will be dated. I'm a freelance graphic designer/architecture student so I need my MacBook to do some heavy lifting. .
Buy the current MBP 13", and upgrade it to 16GB of RAM. Going to be way cheaper than a "retina 13" - if and when it is ever released.

I have an MBP13" w/16GB RAM, 480GB SSD and hard drive in the optical bay. It works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.