Imac 2009, possible problems?

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. I have worked on PCs for years but I'm not up on the new macs. I have a simplistic, yet difficult question for all of you. (I hope this is the best place to ask such a question.)

I have a 2009 Imac. When I attempt to start the computer it appears to pass the BIOS (sadly macs dont show this feature); shows a little bit of the start up procedure, and then conks. I would like to get this running, if possible.

I am sorry for the extremely vague information, I understand from a tech stand point the issues derived from vague information afford. I will try to make a more descriptive update if this is too vague for you.

Thanks guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The reason you see no BIOS is because Macs do not have them but EFI. What operating system are you using? This help immensely. If it is a system installed by discs, insert the DVD and boot, holding down 'c'. Leave the installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and choose Repair Disk. Advise us of the result.

If it is a Lion or Mountain Lion system, use Lion Recovery mode.

OP
X
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The reason you see no BIOS is because Macs do not have them but EFI. What operating system are you using? This help immensely. If it is a system installed by discs, insert the DVD and boot, holding down 'c'. Leave the installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and choose Repair Disk. Advise us of the result.

If it is a Lion or Mountain Lion system, use Lion Recovery mode.

I will see if the computer can make it that far. As of now, It shuts down after 2 seconds of running.

I shall see if the mac OS does anything for me.

OP
X
Reaction score
UPDATE: I attempted to run the Imac yet again, and found that the problem resides with the display. when I start it the display shows the starting gray colors for about 2 seconds then the display turns off. the computer continues starting though. and stays on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be a problem with the graphics adapter. Do you have a spare monitor or TV that you can attach to the iMac to test with? (You'll also need an adaptor) If you attach an external monitor to your iMac and it displays the same symptom, it's very likely a problem with the graphics adapter.

OP
X
Reaction score
It may be a problem with the graphics adapter. Do you have a spare monitor or TV that you can attach to the iMac to test with? (You'll also need an adaptor) If you attach an external monitor to your iMac and it displays the same symptom, it's very likely a problem with the graphics adapter.

Ill give that a try tomorrow.

Im going to assume the GPU is soldered onto the board like a laptop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the graphics processor is soldered on to the logic board.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yes, the graphics processor is soldered on to the logic board.

That will create a problem if it is indeed the GPU that is being a problem. fortunately the screen shows for a few seconds, and there is no error code beep relating to the failure of the GPU.

OP
X
Reaction score

I Finally was able to get the Imac connected up to an external screen.

I found the problem, the back-light in the display is dead. Is it possible to install a new one? I know in some LCD setups changing the bulb is possible...

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not positive of this... but the 2009 iMac may be backlighted by LEDs versus the standard tube type light. You can check to see which method of backlighting is used on your iMac by going to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model.

OP
X
Reaction score
I found out that the LED is indeed interchangeable. But, I am having troubles locating any LEDs as of yet. And I fear that Apple will want some crazy amount just for the LED. Sadly, apple wouldn't share the price of their LEDs, but instead wanted me to set up an appointment with their "super genius" which is pointless seeing I already know the problem, and how to fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.