Remote Desktop Issues

Reaction score
Our IT guys at my job finally purchased a new Mac desktop running Mountain Lion. Now, instead of running the Microsoft RDC with the Cisco VPN, I've been told to use Real VNC with Cisco for the connection. The connection only happens 1 out of 10 times and when it does, its terribly slow. I'm a noob at this stuff but is there another RDC client that I can use? I don't think I can get away with NOT using Cisco.

I'm sure this has been covered before so if someone has links to a posting that would help, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Have you tried CoRD? I use it daily without issue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unbelievable to me that IT departments are still using Cisco VPN concentrators and RDP. There are much better and more cost-effective solutions.

Until they decide to join us here in the 21st century, Cisco does have a Mac-native VPN client, but it must be downloaded by your IT folks.

Once you have a connection established, there are quite a few RDP clients out there for the Mac, including Microsoft's own.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess it would have been helpful to mention that I'm using a Mac here at home running Snow Leopard. John, Will CoRD still work?

I believe that's what I have now, the native Cisco VPN. The windows RDC seems to be only configured to share with my former PC at my job. I don't think they trust us users enough to configure the VPN connections on our own so I don't have any of the details to try. They're paranoid enough with a Mac now running on their Windows environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks guys. I guess it would have been helpful to mention that I'm using a Mac here at home running Snow Leopard. John, Will CoRD still work?

I believe that's what I have now, the native Cisco VPN. The windows RDC seems to be only configured to share with my former PC at my job. I don't think they trust us users enough to configure the VPN connections on our own so I don't have any of the details to try. They're paranoid enough with a Mac now running on their Windows environment.

Yes, CoRD will work on Snow Leopard. IMO, the Cisco branded VPN client is crap on OSX, that is why I use the native VPN built into OSX. It is much more reliable, but not having the VPN shared secret, ip, etc. you are limited to what you have.

There is nothing to be paranoid about with a Mac in a windows environment. ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, CoRD will work on Snow Leopard. IMO, the Cisco branded VPN client is crap on OSX, that is why I use the native VPN built into OSX. It is much more reliable, but not having the VPN shared secret, ip, etc. you are limited to what you have.

There is nothing to be paranoid about with a Mac in a windows environment. ;D

I've been trying to tell those guy that Macs are cool on windows environments for the 2 years I've been there!

CoRD mentions being RDC to Windows Computers but what I'm connecting to now is a Mac. Still cool to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Sorry, I didn't comprehend fully what you were after. I read your post again and now see you are going Mac to Mac. CoRD will not be what you need for this scenario. You can use Apple Remote Desktop, setup screen sharing, or use an app like Splashtop remote. There are other options out there, but these are just the few that I have used in the past.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't comprehend fully what you were after. I read your post again and now see you are going Mac to Mac. CoRD will not be what you need for this scenario. You can use Apple Remote Desktop, setup screen sharing, or use an app like Splashtop remote. There are other options out there, but these are just the few that I have used in the past.

No worries, I'm checking those solutions out now. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If your IT will allow it, I would look into LogMeIn.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.