I installed Synology Modified my Mac HD by mistake

Reaction score
I was in the process of installing Synology DS212j and at the start of it, I aborted the installation by mistake. I see in Finder that my Macintosh HD was modified. I did not do a back up before installing the sinology. the reason I installed it was so that it could work as a backup. I want to revert to the previous date when my Mac HD was modified. how do i return to the previous date that it was modified. Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using Time Machine to make backups? Or, another backup program? Without either, you can't restore to the previous state before you installed Synology.

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you so much. this is a bummer. i bought the synology to back up, not knowing that it would mess up my stuff. thank you very much. i will need to start from scratch.

OP
C
Reaction score
another question...what are the important software i should restore.....i plan to put in the original disk the imac was shipped with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming your original disk is Snow Leopard, you can restore the entire operating system. A Snow Leopard reinstall will not destroy documents or data. It will only overwrite system files, kexts, and the preinstalled applications such as TextEdit. If you're restoring other than Snow Leopard, let us know.

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you again. I want to re-install the snow leopard. the imac came with three DVDs: Application install DVD; MAC OS X Install DVD and MAC OS X Install Disc 2; which if these should I use to re-install snow leopard and also keep my data and documents?

As a follow-up, I got the mac with microsoft for IMAC installed. will these be wiped? I also have pages, numbers etc on it...will tese be wiped too?

Thank you again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i bought the synology to back up, not knowing that it would mess up my stuff.

Let's be honest & fair here. Synology didn't "mess up your stuff"…aborting the installation mid-way thru the process sounds like what messed things up!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
In the event Nick is a Synology fan, so am I. I am not attacking Synology. So no need for your snide remark. I am asking for assistancewith the following. I am thankful for the prefessional response from
chscag.

thank you again. I want to re-install the snow leopard. the imac came with three DVDs: Application install DVD; MAC OS X Install DVD and MAC OS X Install Disc 2; which if these should I use to re-install snow leopard and also keep my data and documents?

As a follow-up, I got the mac with microsoft for IMAC installed. will these be wiped? I also have pages, numbers etc on it...will tese be wiped too?

Thank you again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Whoa whoa... hold on. I use a Synology DiskStation and I quite frankly don't see how it's even possible for their software to modify your Mac's internal drive. Their software simply manages their devices via a web browser, and the firmware is actually applied by the device itself to its own drives. What makes you think your Mac's drive was modified? Are you not able to boot off it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the event Nick is a Synology fan, so am I. I am not attacking Synology. So no need for your snide remark.

My comment wasn't a "snide remark" & it was never meant to be a snide remark…I was only stating facts. In your earlier post you said…"i bought the synology to back up, not knowing that it would mess up my stuff. thank you very much."

This is an internet forum…where the written word is the only information we gave to go by. The simple fact is…Snyology did not "mess up your stuff". Snyology had nothing to do with "messing up your stuff". So this shouldn't have been stated that way in the earlier post.

I'm also trying to keep the record straight…because in the future folks anywhere on the internet may be searching for info regarding "Synology"…and this thread will show up in those searches. I don't want folks thinking there is a problem with Synology. The simple fact is…either a pre-existing condition was in place on your computer that caused this problem…or some sort of "user error" occurred during the install.

Like "lifeisabeach" mentioned…I also do not believe that the install (or partial install) of Synology caused the problem you are experiencing. The problem was caused by something else.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
-Nick,
I take your point about the partial install and the possible cause of error. I also do not want anyone to think negatively of Synology. It was never my intent.
Thank you for your feedback.

OP
C
Reaction score
Whoa whoa... hold on. I use a Synology DiskStation and I quite frankly don't see how it's even possible for their software to modify your Mac's internal drive. Their software simply manages their devices via a web browser, and the firmware is actually applied by the device itself to its own drives. What makes you think your Mac's drive was modified? Are you not able to boot off it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing request for all troubleshooting: Please provide your Mac model/year and OS version. Also advise us if you have used or installed any antivirus, security, or "cleaning" software on your Mac. If you have installed MacKeeper in particular, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
---------
If all else fails to fix your problem, read this tip.

thank you for your questions Lifeisabeach. I am new when it comes to using apple products. I have only had the imac for less than 3 months and wanted to attach the best when it came to back-up devices etc. I take responsibility for aborting/cancelling the synology install 30 minutes into the installation. The 'status' light on the Disk station was blinking orange/amber and in my lack of knowledge, I cancelled. shortly after that, there was a LION OS 10.8 update which i did. after that, whenever i placed the synology disk in, it kept asking me for a file path which i can never find without opening some other file.
I noticed the Macintosh HD (in Finder) had that it was modified and the date and time i aborted the synology installation is the same date and time of the modification. it also bears an earlier date-the one upon which I received the imac- i wanted to restore the imac HD to the earlier date, but have learnt through this post and the helpful responses, that unless i had a backup, this would not be possible. I did not back up as I was attaching synology to be my back-up. So now I am opting to re-install the OS X DVD that came with the imac and start from scratch with synology as well.

I hope this made it clear. Now that I know you are a synology fan as well....how long does it take for it to do the inital setup? I have a ds212j with one 3tb HD in it.
Also, from my posting above, which of the following 3 DVDs do I use to re-install? Application install DVD; MAC OS X Install DVD and MAC OS X Install Disc 2

Also, will I lose my Microsoft 2011 and my pages applications? I want to reinstall the OS without losing my applications.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-Nick,
I take your point about the partial install and the possible cause of error. I also do not want anyone to think negatively of Synology. It was never my intent.
Thank you for your feedback.

No problems "cafefoxx"…it's all good!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you Nick. Same here. Now if I can get your help or that of lifeisabeach with my lengthy questions above....I am new to the mac world and welcome your empathy.

-Cafefoxx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you Nick. Same here. Now if I can get your help or that of lifeisabeach with my lengthy questions above....I am new to the mac world and welcome your empathy.

-Cafefoxx

Can you please restate what your computer is or is not doing at this point? A "bad" or partial install of an application really shouldn't be cause for a complete reinstall of the OS and all applications.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... after that, whenever i placed the synology disk in, it kept asking me for a file path which i can never find without opening some other file.

I quite frankly have no idea what this means. I have an older model of this device, then DS210j, and what you do is connect the device to your router (NOT by USB, use ethernet) and run the Synology Assistant software that you download off their website. The SA will look for the device on your local network and list it when it finds it, then giving you the option to log in to it. Once done, you can format the drives and configure the software from there.

I noticed the Macintosh HD (in Finder) had that it was modified and the date and time i aborted the synology installation is the same date and time of the modification. it also bears an earlier date-the one upon which I received the imac- i wanted to restore the imac HD to the earlier date, but have learnt through this post and the helpful responses, that unless i had a backup, this would not be possible. I did not back up as I was attaching synology to be my back-up. So now I am opting to re-install the OS X DVD that came with the imac and start from scratch with synology as well.

There literally is no point in you reinstalling OS X. The Synology software couldn't have "damaged" your installation. It may have installed a driver of some sort (perhaps for their Cloud Station software?) and that led to the modification date being changed, but that is NORMAL! If you are going to reinstall OS X every time the drive's mod date gets changed, you will be doing it quite a lot.

I hope this made it clear. Now that I know you are a synology fan as well....how long does it take for it to do the inital setup? I have a ds212j with one 3tb HD in it.

I don't really remember.

Also, from my posting above, which of the following 3 DVDs do I use to re-install? Application install DVD; MAC OS X Install DVD and MAC OS X Install Disc 2

Also, will I lose my Microsoft 2011 and my pages applications? I want to reinstall the OS without losing my applications.

There is absolutely no point in reinstalling OS X and I'm not even going to bother advising you further on that. All you are doing is creating more potential issues and aggravation for yourself.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thank you for the assistance. My imac is stating that the HD has been modified and the Synology Installation is stating 'configuration lost'. When I click on th eoption to install synology-it tells me that the I need to identify a 'file path'. I get stuck here.

Glad for any clarification. I am already taking on board aspects of the comment from lifeisabeach as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the assistance. My imac is stating that the HD has been modified and the Synology Installation is stating 'configuration lost'. When I click on th eoption to install synology-it tells me that the I need to identify a 'file path'. I get stuck here.

Can you PLEASE elaborate on what you are talking about. The Synology Assistant doesn't have an installer. You drag it out of the disk image and drop it in your Applications folder. There is no installer; there is no "file path" to ask for or identify. Can you post screen shots of what you are talking about? Can you post a link to the exact file that you downloaded? Literally nothing you are saying here is making any sense. Also review their user guides. It's in the "Documents" section:
Download Center - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

OP
C
Reaction score
I will be able to take photos of it a bit later and post them. I am not in front of the IMAC presently. My apologies for any frustration/lack of clarity. I explained as best I know how, but the pictures may tell a clearer and more factual story.

- Cafefoxx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.