Tried Everything Can't Eject Install Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard

I have an imac desktop with snow leopard.

Four five days have had this disk stuck inside drive and cannot eject.

I have been using my disk that came with my computer for the disk repair utility.

Now I want to eject the disk and I can't. First of all, I have a regular (not an apple keyboard) so there is no eject button.

I have an apple keyboard but it is bluetooth and not set up so I can't set it up till I get on and I can't get on until I get the disk out because it keeps coming back to trying to use the uitlity.

I have tried going into terminal but that doesn't work. It keeps telling me I need to close the disk but how do I close the disk? Can't eject the disk till its closed and can't close it so now my computer is stuck on this repair disk for days.

Can someone please tell me how to get this disk out?

Thanks

Reaction score
Stuck Disc in iMac

HI! This happened to me a while ago, as well. In most slot load, DVD/CD drives, mounted in iMacs, there is a small hole locarted on the bottom edge of the slot, behind the grey material protecting the slot. Get a straightened paper clip or a piece of 3/64 " music wire and gently insert it in the hole, while the Mac is on and running. It should hit a small PC mounted switch, you will feel a light 'Click' and the CD/DVD should eject. If this fails you have to open the Mac up and manually remove the disc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Easier solution... (and I'm not so sure that all slot loading drives have the release that capone99 alluded to).

Turn the machine OFF. Turn it on and immediately press and hold the left mouse button. Continue holding and the disc should eject.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
Easier solution... (and I'm not so sure that all slot loading drives have the release that capone99 alluded to).

Turn the machine OFF. Turn it on and immediately press and hold the left mouse button. Continue holding and the disc should eject.

okay - well I will try the easy way first and if that don't work I'll try the other way.

Thanks for the tips.

Once I get it out then I still have to fix the computer because what was wrong was not fixed with the utilities but one step at a time I guess.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
HI! This happened to me a while ago, as well. In most slot load, DVD/CD drives, mounted in iMacs, there is a small hole locarted on the bottom edge of the slot, behind the grey material protecting the slot. Get a straightened paper clip or a piece of 3/64 " music wire and gently insert it in the hole, while the Mac is on and running. It should hit a small PC mounted switch, you will feel a light 'Click' and the CD/DVD should eject. If this fails you have to open the Mac up and manually remove the disc.

Thanks - I am not very mechanically inclined but I will give it a shot - I have a bluetooth keyboard that takes batteries which has the eject button but I wouldn't be able to get the computer to recognize the keyboard as it is, sigh. Such little things that turn into big deals!

Murphys law - I haven't a simple utilitarian paperclip in the house :Smirk:

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
The reason I got into this situation was trying to fix the spinning wheel hangup - even though I have done disk utilities (both options) and they both AFTER about 8 hours - no lie, said they were repaired.

But then the disk thing. AND

whenever I so much as touch the mouse the SPINNING WHEEL thing starts again.

I have copied what the screen message was. First of all it says that a script has stopped responding and I can stop it if i choose but selecting to stop the script doesn't work because all that happens is the spinning wheel and I can't select stop script.

But here specifically is the message although it seems to me that once it referenced a CHROME file.

But this is the hangup source now:

http://cdnbdcmi.kaltura.com/html5/html5lib/v1.6.12.401/mwEmbedLoader.php.113

I believe I got that right, I can't read my own writing lol.

Does it matter what's hanging it up and what else can I do to stop this very annoying spinner?

I have stopped my computer so many times when it gets hung up but now it actually has my start up pages which is an improvement so I'm hating to shut it down because when it starts again with the disk in there it will go into another several hour journey into who knows where?

FRUSTRATING doesn't begin to convey but thanks really for your tips - I'm still working on the disk but which came first the chicken or the egg yannow?

Okay I'm going to go try the mouse button thing.:p

VICTORY IS SWEET - I got the disk out - didn't seem to be working and then presto -

I guess I should start another thread on the other problem thanks YOU both/all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.