Looking for economical way to serve movies to AppleTV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2011 13inch
Hi there. Newbie to the forums. I hope I'm posting in the right spot.

My question is, what's the best and most economical way to serve movies and video to stream to Apple TV?

I've been putting video on my iMac and just retrieving it using home sharing on my AppleTV but I noticed I'm running low on space.

Here's my setup (of what I think is the relevant hardware for this).

I have a mid 2011 iMac with a 500GB HD (where I'm bringing the movies in by); AppleTV 3rd Gen; 2012 Airport Express Base Station with 1 free LAN port; Gigabit 4 port switch and an external 1 TB hard drive.

Now, I'm using the external HD as a time machine backup so I don't want to use that. I'm either weighing between getting an old Mac Mini to act as a media server, or I'd really love a WiFi SSD External HD, but I think that's going to be way too expensive, and I'm not paying for a time capsule, especially considering I already have an Airport Express.

If I go the Mac Mini route, what's the oldest I can get, and with that, oldest OSX version? Also, is it my understanding that most aren't dual HDs? Or do I just want to get another external HD of a TB or two and hook it up to my iMac? I really was dissappointed that the USB port on the back of the Airport Express is for printers only, but I think going Airport Extreme was overkill at this time.

Is serving off USB 2.0 a problem for movies to my apple TV? would ethernet (hard wire) from a Mac Mini go faster than USB 2.0?

Whatever route I go. I don't want to spend over a couple hundred dollars. So I was thinking an really old Mac Mini off eBay or an external hard drive and I'm assuming I can setup home sharing to point to that HD.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You could just connect an external drive to your iMac, move your iTunes library onto that and continue as you are now.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You could just connect an external drive to your iMac, move your iTunes library onto that and continue as you are now.

+1 on this advice

I keep my media on an external HD connected to my Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I am doing exactly what the 2 above are proposing.

MacMini w/ iTunes and a 4TB iTunes drive. It is always on and serving. I have an Apple TV on the other TVs in the house that can all pull effortlessly. It was light years faster to set up and use than the old Windows MediaCenter Server PC I had before.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2011 13inch
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think though, I found a nice option. A NAS. WD and Seagate have ones around $150 and they have cloud support on them so if I'm away and I really want to access some of those files, I could. That may be the option I want to go with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
I am sharing a 3tb hard drive over my network and pointing all machines to the external drive attached to my airport express as my ITunes library works well. that way I have 1 library and 3 machines using the same library real cool.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.