input output error

Reaction score
Hello All,

Got a 500GB 2.5" HD trying to get my old Macbook to find it. Its a late 2009 model Macbook running 10.5.8 (thats what version disk utility is). Tried going to disk utility on CD boot: 1. language 2. disk utility 3. partition 1, GUID 4. then quit disk utility and continue....but no drive appears to select installation destination......please help and thanks in advance!

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Once you are in Disk Utility you should see the new hard drive in the top left corner, does it not show there? Was the 500GB hard drive new? What was the reason for fitting the 500GB drive, replacing a failed hard drive or an upgrade? Were you careful with the drive flex cable, avoiding pulling it against where it's held by 2 small screws? Knowing the answers to the above may help determine how to resolve your problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, I can see the drive in disk utility in the left corner. The drive is a new one and the reason for was replacement as well as upgrade. Not sure about the last question. I basically can get to the area in disc utility to partition (format) the HD, I choose to partition 1, hit partition and it says partition failed: input/output error. Really becoming a pain. Any other tips would be great though! thanks techiesteve!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
John, had you tried Disk Utilities erase option? Normally thats all thats necessary with a new drive when you only want 1 partition. Will be interesting to see if you get the same error.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea, tried erase option too. still get input/output error. my grey install disc has 10.4.8 on it (tiger) and i dont think it is going to recognize the HD. i tried to upgrade to leopard (10.5) but it said I had to have at least (10.4) installed. thing is, i cant get anything installed. thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As gsahli says, you are using the wrong install DVD for your Mac. The Late 2009 white unibody MacBook shipped with Snow Leopard. You need either the original grey 10.6.1 or a 10.6.3 retail DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.