Retina display and Adobe.

Reaction score
Hello, new here so sorry if this has been covered. In brief, the new retina display MacBooks are recommended by many as state of the art for photographers. However, I understand that Adobe does not currently support it in any of its editing software. So, is it still worth getting an MBPr for photo editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
According to Adobe, support is coming in CS6. Take that with a grain of salt for now I guess, but I wouldn't doubt that it is coming at some point.

Doug

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. Guess I don't understand what software people who have reviewed the MBPr are using-- seems that most would have some version of Photoshop or its offshoots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
New MacBook Pro Retina Display Support | Creative Layer

That is their official blog, which should be updated when support rolls out. If you look at the scathing comments toward the bottom, you'll get a better understanding of what people are using and why support is needed.

Personally speaking, from a photographer's point of view, the retina display is only as good as the program it is being viewed with. It is a double edged sword for now. Ya know what.. instead of me trying to explain it, I'll defer to an fstoppers article that sums things up pretty neatly:

The New MacBook Pro, a Photographer’s Perspective | Fstoppers

Now, while I'll agree with the author that things are going to be a pain in the rear until software companies catch up to the technology...It will be an amazing experience when they all finally do! We will pretty much have print quality on a screen to work with. If waiting for the tech world to catch up is the price of admission, I'd say it's well worth it.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, did you not write this post?

I'm not going to play this game with you. I refuse to believe that you would not understand the context and tone behind the statement you quoted. End of story.

Doug

C

chas_m

You said that according to Adobe, Retina display support would be coming in CS 6.

I pointed out that CS 6 is already out, so I didn't understand what you meant.

Are you trying to say that Adobe will offer Retina support in some future update of CS 6?

The link you pointed to is from August, so "several months" have already gone by.

I am not being argumentative; you are misinterpreting me and giving out bad info.

Can you be clearer about what you know (or are guessing) about when CS 6 Photoshop will be updated with Retina support? That is what I (and I presume the OP) would like to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, sorry. I assumed that you were being cheeky, as you often are with me... What I said was very straight forward, and not meant to be a round about way of saying anything.

Though Adobe stated what they did in that link a few months ago, support still seems to be absent from a lot of the CS 6 applications.

It looks like Premiere Pro got an HiDPI update for the retina displays, but no mention yet of PS, Illustrator or Fireworks. And that update was back in September, on the 6th. Nothing further has been issued or mentioned from Adobe at this point.

So yes, it will indeed be an update within CS6 that ultimately lends support to retina displays. Adobe is taking their sweet time.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.