Rebuilding my Mac Mini & Home network...

Reaction score
Hello...

My Mac Mini (late 2009, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB RAM running OSX 10.8.2) is getting pretty slow, and it has become something of a main hub for iTunes content, photos etc.

I want to centralise all my content on the Mac mini, but I think it is getting on a bit... would a rebuild help? I would simplify everything on it so that it serves as a home for said content, but wouldn't really use it for anything else. I will use the Macbook Pro for heavier stuff like Final cut editing etc.

If this would help - how do I rebuild it to Mountain Lion with no disc as I bought it on App store? I have been using Time Machine to back it up - Can I use that?? I don't really want to have all the software and other stuff that comes with that though - hence the rebuild!

I would rebuild to Snow Leopard, but God knows where that disc is - and if I rebuilt to the original build disc I would still have to upgrade to Snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion wouldn't I?

Any suggestions??

Also, is this a good idea to use it as a kind of home content 'server' in that my other devices could access it (Apple TV, iPad etc) - I would connect the Mini Mac direct to my router via ethernet to maximise the speed.

Again any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.