• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Navigating the maze of final cut compatibility ...

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone could offer regarding matching a final cut pro / final cut studio package to my Mac Pro. I've done so much research now and as soon as I think I've got it sorted, another spanner gets thrown in the works.

Firstly, Mac Pro specs:

Processor 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56)

When I bought this Mac (second hand, about 6 months ago) I'd done some research and thought I'd got one that'd allow me to edit films with nearish the minimum requirements, as I'm cheap. Then I hit the power pc problems, as obviously any FCP of a certain age can't be installed on this machine. But for FC X, which I'm not exactly tempted by anyway, my graphics card isn't good enough. (As a side note, in case this matters - in the past I've edited films directly from my external hard drive, not from the computer itself.)

I wanted some advice on how I can fit final cut pro or studio to this machine, bearing in mind I'm going to have to buy it second hand.

Would it work if I bought an older version of FCP and also bought Snow Leopard, would this install?
Or, buy a better graphics card and put up with FC X?

Two more questions, sorry: From what I can tell, FCS 2 might just work on my Mac if I bought Snow Leopard. Am I missing anything here?

And of the FCS 2 packages I've seen 2nd hand on ebay, some say 'Upgrade version' - is this something to steer clear from? Or just the same?

Sorry for the big dollop of ignorance, I had no idea this could be so complicated. Lots and lots of gratitude for any help at all!

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.