Serial number blanking or changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone know of a tool that will re-blank or allow me to change the serial number on a 2011 MacBook Pro? I've just had one sent to me from Apple and have made a mistake entering the serial number (an honest mistake) now Apple want me to void the replacement mb and order a new one which I will have to pay for!!

Any help advice or help?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Something doesn't add up here . . . why would you need to replace your MBP for a second time due to an entry error?

And, why would changing the device Serial number (if I read your post correctly) be a valid or even legal soloution?

OP
J
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up here . . . why would you need to replace your MBP for a second time due to an entry error?

And, why would changing the device Serial number (if I read your post correctly) be a valid or even legal soloution?

I''ve just replaced a faulty md with a replacement from Apple under warranty and have entered a wrong serial number using the blank serializer board v2.3 tool. When I got back in touch with Apple through GSX they told me I will have to put the replacement board into our stock as DOA (it seems that it will never be used if this is the case) and order a new one which I will have to pay for. It's a bit harsh as it was an honest mistake (I got the mb serial numbers mixed up).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
At no point during an installation process or during routine maintenance do you change your serial number. While this is possible with the server version, it is not with the client one.

How did Apple get you to change the serial number in the first place?

EDIT: I see you used the blank board serializer. How did you get that tool? As far as I know, it's only made available to authorized repair shops.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I''ve just replaced a faulty md with a replacement from Apple under warranty and have entered a wrong serial number using the blank serializer board v2.3 tool. When I got back in touch with Apple through GSX they told me I will have to put the replacement board into our stock as DOA (it seems that it will never be used if this is the case) and order a new one which I will have to pay for. It's a bit harsh as it was an honest mistake (I got the mb serial numbers mixed up).

Ouch!
I think I understand your predicament now.

OP
J
Reaction score
At no point during an installation process or during routine maintenance do you change your serial number. While this is possible with the server version, it is not with the client one.

How did Apple get you to change the serial number in the first place?

EDIT: I see you used the blank board serializer. Why not just use it again?

You do when you get supplied with a replacement motherboard from Apple without a serial number. Apple have not change the serial number, I am swapping out a faulty motherboard with a replacement one from Apple.

We are authorised but Apple still wont supply me with a tool to re-blank the motherboards serial number!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I got you now.

Most of us aren't AASPs so I can't imagine that many of us are going to know how to do this. As much as this isn't what you want, you'll likely have to deal directly with Apple on this one. I say this because it appears that the only way to do this is to access the part of the firmware only accessible through a tool that only Apple has.

OP
J
Reaction score
I got you now.

Most of us aren't AASPs so I can't imagine that many of us are going to know how to do this. As much as this isn't what you want, you'll likely have to deal directly with Apple on this one. I say this because it appears that the only way to do this is to access the part of the firmware only accessible through a tool that only Apple has.

Ok, thanks for your help. Looks like I am going to have to get back in touch with Apple and do a bit of grovelling (maybe I just spoke to the wrong guy when I got in touch with them initially)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.