GarageBand Alternatives?

Reaction score
To keep this as short as possible I've been learning to use Garageband as a DAW but I don't always have access to my Mac at the moment because I've had to loan it out. I'd like to be able to use Garageband on Windows but I can't see any way of doing that. I was looking into Mac emulation and that doesn't seem viable.

So I'd love any suggestions from Mac users who use a Windows box as well. I was looking around and found this GarageBand for Windows | DJ TouchBeats which had a few suggestions. There are some which work on both Mac and PC which would be pretty good but ideally I'd like something as similar as possible to Garageband so I don't need to keep relearning everything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
+1 for Mixcraft. Well worth the $80, and handles VST plugins well.. It's been known to be the "windows version of Garageband."

Cheap and easy to use. Spend more time making music, than figuring out how to. It's my main DAW. It's come a long way since its release

Play with the demo, you won't be disappointed. Like Sur3Mac said, it's not Garageband, but it comes very close. I'd advise to walk into it not expecting it to perform exactly like GB.

Reaction score
What about lite versions of cubase? Have you tried them? Cubase is very powerful. Another great one with best sounding algorithms is Ableton live. Check them out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
What about lite versions of cubase? Have you tried them? Cubase is very powerful. Another great one with best sounding algorithms is Ableton live. Check them out!
Yeah id just get a "real" DAW instead of garage band if you need multi platform use, or instal OS X on the PC?

C

chas_m

Since one can't install OS X on a PC legally, and mentioning illegal acts here can get you in a lot of trouble, perhaps you'd like to amend your reply to suggest Windows programs that you think make the best DAWs instead ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Since one can't install OS X on a PC legally, and mentioning illegal acts here can get you in a lot of trouble, perhaps you'd like to amend your reply to suggest Windows programs that you think make the best DAWs instead ...

Very diplomatic ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
Ha as I have been informed.

Well when I read the threads name I was going to tell him get Apple logic but if the OP needs to run something on both there's

Abelton live
Cubase
and pro tool's

Abelton live is usually used for live performances like techno and DJ'ing and samples but thats not to say it can't be used as a DAW just fine, with the added benefit of working in to a live set up nicely.

Pro tools is weird they have a bunch of different versions, it confused me so I didn't look into it much, basically you can buy it in stages but in the end its the most expensive. It is the industry standard and what most professionals use but also what a lot of non-pro's don't use if you get what I mean. Plus it only works with Digidesign’s interfaces and usually you have to have them connected to do anything (stupid if you ask me).

I would probably go with Cubase but I have only ever used Garageband, pro tools LE (there free edition) and MOTU digital performer (crazy confusing, although nothing after Garageband is easy to use, and mac only).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.