• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Novice Needs Help

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for an ext HD to use with my early 2008 Macbook Pro (FireWire 400/800, USB2.0). I'm going to be working with DV and HDV material.

I was told a USB 2.0 HD was too slow for video, and that the new USB3.0 connection isn't compatible with my laptop.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

Reaction score
I'd opt for a FW800 drive rather than a USB 2 . I store my video files on an external FW800 drive and don't have any real problems. You might find the processor on your MBP a bit slow if you have a lot of video to edit though.

It also depends on what app you are using to handle the video content anyway. I've used iMovie on my 2008 MBP do handle short videos. Takes some time to render but provided the video isn't to long it's not a real problem

OP
N
Reaction score
I'd opt for a FW800 drive rather than a USB 2 . I store my video files on an external FW800 drive and don't have any real problems. You might find the processor on your MBP a bit slow if you have a lot of video to edit though.

It also depends on what app you are using to handle the video content anyway. I've used iMovie on my 2008 MBP do handle short videos. Takes some time to render but provided the video isn't to long it's not a real problem

Hi Chappers,

I'm running Media Composer 6. I started out wanting an FW800, but the guy at Best Buy told me that was "ancient" and I should switch.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your MBP has USB 2.0 and FW 400/800..and USB 2.0 is capable of 480 Mbps and FW800 is capable of 786 Mbps..and I've used FW800 in the past with a DV camcorder and it worked great.

In my opinion, I don't give my thought to the technical acumen of the people that work at Best Buy..even the Geek Squad guys scare me with their lack of knowledge.

Besides, you only have two choices with your MBP anyway and FW800 is faster than FW400 for sure..if you had Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 and so on as well, then obviously it makes sense to go with the newer (and probably faster) technology..

OP
N
Reaction score
Ashwin,

You couldn't have made it much clearer than that. Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.